Does anyone out there own a G6?

snow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
B.C.,Canada
Not the plane, the filter.;)
How are these filters? Do they work well? I know it a lot of money for the filter since the flow rate is not the best but I want to hear some comments from the owners of these filters. I don't want to hear from people who don't have first hand experience with them.:nilly:

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
I saw one in person today at a LFS. It is TINY! Some of the features are interesting, but for the price I would much rather get a few FX5s.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
Definitely just get a FX5.

mrblah

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2010
earth
got one to try out from a LFS owner here in socal. not worth the money, at all. i'll stick with my old eheims.

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
yeah ive seen em in person, read reviews. definately not worth the hype and the price.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i dont have one so i shouldnt chime in, but based on it's features, it's made for the guy that likes to show off how much money he has. kinda like those 'more-money-than-sense' folks :)

the cute little LCD screen displays dont give you any useful information. and dont get me started on the glossy black/chrome finish. pure marketing fluff.

cichlid2006

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
Fife - Scotland
I don't have one but I would rather buy a sump, the plumbing, an Fx5, take the wife out for a meal and still have change left over for fish food.

I like the idea of a quick clean cartridge but the only brand as far as I am aware is Hagen's own so they can charge what they like, £28.99 for the pre-filter cartridge and £18.99 for a nitrate/phosphate one at the moment.
I can imagine it being really good on a small tank but lots of fish keepers want good flow as well as good filtration, not for a filter to excel at one and be crap at the other. They dropped the ball with their research on both the G3 and G6, I for one do not believe they consulted potential customers as they claim.

aclockworkorange

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 24, 2010
Rose City
cichlid2006;4491581; said:
I don't have one but I would rather buy a sump, the plumbing, an Fx5, take the wife out for a meal and still have change left over for fish food.

I like the idea of a quick clean cartridge but the only brand as far as I am aware is Hagen's own so they can charge what they like, £28.99 for the pre-filter cartridge and £18.99 for a nitrate/phosphate one at the moment.
I can imagine it being really good on a small tank but lots of fish keepers want good flow as well as good filtration, not for a filter to excel at one and be crap at the other. They dropped the ball with their research on both the G3 and G6, I for one do not believe they consulted potential customers as they claim.
I agree... if they had we would have an updated FX5 with a couple better features. Not a small overpriced flashy canister with cartridges.

lujor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2007
Here&There
I don't think it's necessary to have "first hand experience" with them to make an educated guess. If you've been around the block more than once you should recognize all the warning signs of a hustle. Chromed-out shiny "cute" box for cleaning fish ****? The specs (flow rate, etc.), price, and that ridiculous LED screen speak for themselves. Not only would I get a FX5 instead, I would probably take a Fluval405 over the G6. It's like putting lipstick on a pig. Also, reminds me of the story ab out how the US spent millions designing a pen that would write in zero Gs while the Soviets just used a pencil- ie you can get the same job done without all the unnecessary gadgetry and expense.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store