does anyone use earthworms for food

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Ive fed 1000s of red wigglers to my fish over the years. Breed them in bins in the basement.

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
I started a worm bin about 4 months ago. My intent is to cultivate worms for my fish. I hadn't started harvesting any yet. They say it can take a year before your starters reproduce offspring big enough to start harvesting. Will see I started with 500+ wigglers.

Note been told better to buy by the pound and not by count.

BMac91

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2011
Alabama
kevinfleming21;5107718; said:
I do, and Wal-Mart in the fishing section.
Yep. My SA/CA cichlids are picky, so I have to get the "Baby Crawlers" that Wal Mart carries because if they are just the normal crawlers they refuse to eat them... Spoiled brats. :irked:

Racersk

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Covington
Bowfin eats NOTHING but live, and I hate bringing in feeders...So I get 3-4 Wallmart Nightcrawlers containers a week :) My Bichir's love em and my cichlid's chew on em. My P. Afer DESTROYS worms!

I tried growing my own, but by the pound is a way smarter idea, growth is slow.

Also, Cabella's is a great source too, better quality worms to boot!

CODzilla

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2009
UK
I used to but I live in a flat with no garden now. Shame because my fish used to love them!!

angryinsect

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
British Columbia Canada
ya i feed worms all the time from the yard and from a red wiggler culture i keep. i always wonder what the neighbors think of me when i'm in pajama pants and a house coat wandering through the front yard with a flash light lookin for worms late in the evening

dasani

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
canada
all my cichlids love earthworms. This is the only time i see my severum, and GT fight. I usually cut the worm in half since my guys are still juvies to early adult. my stripped cats goes ape **** and will ram whoever out of their way.

angryinsect;5109550; said:
ya i feed worms all the time from the yard and from a red wiggler culture i keep. i always wonder what the neighbors think of me when i'm in pajama pants and a house coat wandering through the front yard with a flash light lookin for worms late in the evening
lol, im lucky to have a school nearby so there are a lot of kids. I get them to find me worms and i pay them 10cents for each. 1 time i spend $5...lots of worms.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store