Does petsmart take back fish?

smitty911

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2008
michigan
I had a community tank for a while,then i bought an oscar. it is now no longer a community due to the lack of fish by the oscar. But the only fish that really survived were my 2 tiger barbs(one male and one female). the male was very brightly colored with red fins and red nose(bright red). well about half hour ago i heard a noise and turned around to see my oscar chasing the female tiger barb. as soon as i got up he caught her and ate her. Now my bright red male has lost all of his color. I usually dont feel bad about them getting eatin but i thought i might be able to spare my last community fish since i have to go to petsmart tomorrow anyway.

So to make a long story short can i take my tiger barb up there and just give it to them to put with the rest?

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Oscars are not good community fish and are not suitable with small tankmates. Who gave you the advice they would be compatible? Make a thread in Buy and Sell forum if you want to sell some of your fish.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
What size is this tank? Surely, your tank must have plenty of space to accommodate two monsters together especially when you consider their temperament.

phoebeq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
BFE, Colorado
At my store, we don't buy back fish, but we do take them if people are having issues with them and no longer want them. We usually adopt them out for a small donation to the Petco Foundation.

TheFishJunky

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2008
Jersey
probably not a good mix but since the oscar is getting big I guess......shoot for a smaller devil.As long as the devil is always smaller they have a 50/50 chance of not killing each other in a nasty fight.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Those type of stores halfway dont really want to be bothered with the fish that they do have so its doubtful that they will want any back.

jphillips2020

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2008
Seattle
Well I would have assumed that Petsmart would have told you that a Oscar is going to eat all your small fish. That is if you were trying to make a community tank with Oscars that is. But most fish stores will take your fish for free or take any fish your having issues with for free.

phoebeq

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2008
BFE, Colorado
krichardson;2676455; said:
Those type of stores halfway dont really want to be bothered with the fish that they do have so its doubtful that they will want any back.
That depends on the store :) I gladly take in fish that people are having problems with. I get people bringing in giant plecos all the time. Someone brought me a Black Ghost Knife that was getting too big. I also have taken some goldfish that people didn't want anymore. It all depends on the individual store...

smitty911

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2008
michigan
phoebeq- Thank you. I'm not looking to get any money back but i just want to make sure that they will take fish.

itsbadlands- The Oscar and Devil dont bother each other. they kind of hang out together sometimes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store