Does your tiger oscar eat alage wafers ?

plecostic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
USA
Mine just started, he never bothered with them before, he gets other things like pellets, etc. My Pacus love them and eat them up like cookies. One day I dropped one down a tree trunk decoration so my Pleco could get some because the Pacu's always steal them from him. The Pacu's were trying to get under it but they were too big and my Red Oscar saw them (hates Pacus) and he darted towards the wafer and grabbed it up and swallowed it. Ever since then he will swallow them whole. Funny to watch, it's like he's doing it just to piss off the Pacu. :ROFL:

AquaPishFimp

Banned
Dec 5, 2011
Florida
They are some pigs.

I love them though. They are awesome cichlids to own.
An oscar will eat anything that can fit in its mouth. Sometimes they will eat prey larger than their mouths.

ozzyoscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2011
IA
A friend of mine has an Oscar that eats Algae Wafers whenever he puts them in. He has to drop in like 4 of them just for his pleco to get one! Eats them in one bite......

Nick1223

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2011
Utah
My Oscars, and my brothers Oscars have all loved to eat them. With 4 Oscars I can't ever get them to my Pleco..

gary grice

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2011
Connecticut
yes my oscars eat algae wafers along with anything else looking remotely close to food, the only way I can feed my pleco now is to put slices of cucumber on a fork

rich_one

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2011
Southern Maryland
My albino tiger oscar eats anything that hits the water. Or for that matter, anything that you hold in your fingers above the water! LOL...

-Rich

jadedreams

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2011
Oklahoma
Yep, my tiger Oscar will eat about anything that I drop in - on a side note my pleco likes to come to the top to eat the Oscar's pellets and piss it off...

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Both of my O's avoid them like the plague, every once in a while they'll get a hold of one but they spit it out instantly.

My silver dollars on the other hand will grab them right up. I have to throw in extra so the pleco gets one.

Turbotom92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2011
Rzeszów, Poland
I had the same problem when it came to feeding my plecos in my oscar tank. Ever since my oscars could swallow algae wafers, I started purposely drowning egg-based or veggie flakes that the oscars didn't care for after they sank to bottom of the tank, and when I turn off the lights the plecos make a quick meal of all the flakes that have settled on the substrate. I thought this method would foul up my water but there hasn't been any noticeable differences in water quality. On a positive note, my plecos have gained more contrasting colors with deeper browns and brighter tans, because they are no longer competing for food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store