Dog Behavior - Odd?

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Yeah its perfectly normal. Mouthing is a sign of affection and play. We had an eleven month old pit pup that did the same mouthing behavior. I just overacted a few times like the bite hurt (more than it did) and the behavior quit. The dog realized that he had to play differently with the people than with the other dogs. Even now my dogs go from play mouthing each other to groom each other and back and forth while they play.
Yeah, come to think of it, "mouthing" would be a more appropriate description. I do say a firm 'no' when he nibbles my toes or finger or clothes. he stops immediately. then tries again then i say 'no' then he stops.... sometimes he kinda yaps back (one sharp bark) ... not sure what to make of it when he does that

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
My yorkie did the same. Nothing to worry about. Just start with "no" commands when it goes for fingers and as Lupin said give toys. Between my Jack Russel puppy and Yorkie puppy they had about 14 different toys to chew, never damaged anything in the house.
I hope mine will be well behaved. I do say no, but not after a good training when he tries to mouth my hand.

Is your Yorkie like super hyper? although he loves belly rubs that is when he is still.

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
My little terrier mutt did the same. I put on this stuff from petsmart called bitter apples I think. Its a safe super bitter to dogs spray to keep them from chewing on stuff. It worked very well.
Let's hope it does not come to that. he respond well enough with a 'no' for now

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
IMG-20120201-00329.jpg

IMG-20120201-00328.jpg

Lou-Lou, the little rabbit. when he zips around the kitchen he looks like a rabbit .... soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cuttttttttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

IMG-20120201-00329.jpg

IMG-20120201-00328.jpg

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
Thanks Liz. Got a puppy now for that big tank for my new place ^^

PS: today is his last vacination so i can take him walking. Leash trained now so should not be an issue. Gotta start socializing the little fella

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
Not allowed to have large dog in my new appartment. Otherwise i would have gone with a Doberman ... yours is gorgeous

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Not allowed to have large dog in my new appartment. Otherwise i would have gone with a Doberman ... yours is gorgeous
He is precious.. thanks very much.. i would love one of these guys too... what a sweet face and love the ears.

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Thank you Lupin. Yeah, he got two toys: a stuffed animal and a towel. surprisingly very selective of toys. No interest in the plastic ball with bell thingie inside. i mean zero. does not bite anything around the house ...yet. hopefully never.

Let me clarify i do not wag the fingers in front of him but when i reach out to either pat on the head or a rub on the back, he tries to mouth me.

I am a bit worried that saying 'no' after he performs might be counter productive.

Let's hope it is just a phase of teething
Whoa! You also have a plastic ball with a bell inside it? Coincidence? LOL! My spaniel has her own and she likes to play it.

Sent from my GT-P1000 using MonsterAquaria

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
now that the woven plastic ball is accepted by the puppy, it is much easier to play fetch with (hmmm stuff toy is more difficult to get back hehe).

the puppy fetches the ball always to the same place (the blue towel). I tested it by moving the towel around. he always comes back to the towel ... not necessarily where i am lol

one thing that is annoying, the training guide says that the dogs are creatures of habit and always do things according the schedule ... not quite in my case... pooing especially. peeing he goes on command 'go potty' straight after the crate, while the heavier stuff he does ... well, not so regular ... so i had a present in the crate in the morning on saturday (eventhough he went before going to sleep) then ok for sunday ... while this morning, he did not do his potty (for two hours) even though he did not go since dinner time!!!!!!

hopefully he will settle into a routine ... <sigh> ... waking up at 0530 is starting to take toll after three weeks (i am not a morning person) ...

lamenting: fish are so much easier ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store