Dog Food

Bizzaro

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2006
CA
I would jump back to fish food but the Point of this is Size/price. Im tring to get the lowest price and biggest size. Thus dog food and cat food come into play. I might switch over to cat food, I was reading about the fish in cat food and thought it was alot better then grains. So ill Give it a try this weekend. His starting to get a little picky... only taking 2-3 pellets a day. instead of his 5-6.

Im guessing a lot of people to try and go the Cheap and BULK fish food with small pellets... I don't like the fact of feeding a big fish small pellets. But With this fish i had problem with him taking pellets that where small. I Might be changin my hole take again and if i wanted to sell the fish i have to lean him off the food and back on fish food. :\ but that wont be any time soon.

MeAko

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2006
Manila, Phillipines
I adopted a 2.5 foot long ID Shark that was housed in a 100G tank.

I was told that he was raised from juvy to his size this size in 2 years.

He was fed almost exclusively on dog food :WHOA:

After I got him, I've fed him: green peas, beef heart, carrots, fillets etc.

The other day I decided to be naughty and grabbed some of my dog food and gave some to him, he was very excited and gulped all of them down, he even taught his other ID tankmate to chow it down :ROFL:

I tried feeding some to the RTC, he ate it also...:grinno:

hybridtheoryd16

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2007
kentucky
This is a old thread but its good that you brought it back. This could help alot of new fish owners.

People have been feeding dog food to larger fish for several several decades.

I now several large pond owners that feed OLE ROY dog food from walmart to there ponds inhabitants.

jprp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
derbyshire england
most prepared food is utter ****e-filled out with low quality cereal,soya and so on
any fish in the ingredients will be ground dust made from bones skin fins and heads
basically the waste from the human food industry with a sprinkling of powdered vitamin equivelent chemicals.

in short if you already feed dried foods as your main and both the ingredient and nutritional listings are in the same ballpark on the dod food as the fish product then you will do them no more harm.

the pet industry takes the piss all the time
just compare a pond groth food to cichlid sticks
they are selling the same thing at a massive mark up

jprp

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2009
derbyshire england
if we are talking wet food -try pouches of cat food -there are varieties with just fish and jelly fortified with vitamins and minerals-so no messy gravy.
if you give them an hour in the fridge first the jelly firms up causing very little mess.
these can make a good stand by as they can be stored at room temp rarther than fllling the freezer to bursting.
my perruno loves it and takes it more readily than fillet,prawns ect.
red tail wont touch it though.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
My 30" West African lung is crazy for large dog kibble, he's picky other stuff strangely.

People here are making a huge error in assuming the dietary requirements of all fish (regardless of type) would be effected in the same way by eating dog food. Feeding dog food to certain fish may be deadly, and others just fine. Without in-depth scientific study of the digestive systems of each fish family, it's impossible to make an accurate opinion.

For instance, cats shouldn't eat dog food because cats require an extra animo acid to make protein than dogs do...dogs however, can eat cat food. Guinea pigs can't eat rabbit food, but rabbits can eat guinea pig food...

TamponVampireTBag

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2009
In the now
Well I for one wouldn't feed dog food to a fish but I gotta laugh at the people who tell others its no good yet turn around and buy something like Hikari, heres the ingredients of there gold series ... "Fish meal, flaked corn, wheat flour, gluten meal, brewer's dried yeast, starch, enzyme, garlic, astaxantin, DL-methionine, monosodium glutamate, vitamins and minerals including stabilized vitamin C" ...

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
well fish food desinged for fish would be better, but if you're up against the costs for food...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store