Don't let your bowfin gorge on borderline rotten fish...

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
I hate to dig up an old thread but having a bowfin myself, I'd like to ask... will simple treatments every so often of melafix be a problem to this species? I like to do preventative stuff. I do 20 percent water changes every so often and the tank has ample live plants and proper lighting. My bowfin is always so shy by never passes on shrimp and live minnows. It's tank mate is a (now thought to be) Florida or spotted far and a small 2 inch brim. For now it is a 55 gallon tank. Soon going to a 3k gallon pond outdoors.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I hate to dig up an old thread but having a bowfin myself, I'd like to ask... will simple treatments every so often of melafix be a problem to this species? I like to do preventative stuff. I do 20 percent water changes every so often and the tank has ample live plants and proper lighting. My bowfin is always so shy by never passes on shrimp and live minnows. It's tank mate is a (now thought to be) Florida or spotted far and a small 2 inch brim. For now it is a 55 gallon tank. Soon going to a 3k gallon pond outdoors.
I see no problem with bumping an old thread if you have something to add or ask....that said,I am not sure how Amia calva would react to medications,even something as mild as melafix but in my opinion you shouldn't need to use it as a preventative if you are keeping up a regular water change schedule.

Codyjphoto

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2017
I see no problem with bumping an old thread if you have something to add or ask....that said,I am not sure how Amia calva would react to medications,even something as mild as melafix but in my opinion you shouldn't need to use it as a preventative if you are keeping up a regular water change schedule.

That puts my mind at ease. Tonight is a water change time and I'm also doing a redesign so as to accommodate a 7 inch alligator gar temporarily until my pond is ready.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you all, guys, for input.

Updated video of the surviving bowfin in 4500 gal. Doing great, a power house an feeding time, especially when thawed fish is offered but takes pellet too with enthusiasm. Size is probably 1.5'+ but I gauged conservatively.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
One year later. Almost nothing's changed. If it grew, I have hard time noticing. Doesn't seem to be ticked off by any tank mates anymore now that the piraiba has been in the other 4500 gal for a long time.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
One year later. Almost nothing's changed. If it grew, I have hard time noticing. Doesn't seem to be ticked off by any tank mates anymore now that the piraiba has been in the other 4500 gal for a long time.

Awesome update. I've been eyeballing a bowfin for awhile. What is your tank temp?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Probably worth mentioning that our specimen feeds as before, that is exceptionally greedy.

Awesome update. I've been eyeballing a bowfin for awhile. What is your tank temp?
Thank you. And how big is yours? :) ... The tank temps vary seasonally from low 70-ies in winter to upper 80-ies in summer.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store