Dorado coloration?

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
I've been wondering, at what size do golden dorados (brassies and frankies) start showing hints of gold on their bellies?

moe214

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2014
Probably around 18", I'd assume it'd be different specimen to specimen. DB junkie DB junkie might be able to answer better than I can

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
This was one of the proposed differences in Brassies and Frankies. I remember Mike (h20) having a 30"er that wasn't very gold.

I have 2 Brassies from the same batch and one kind of lacks the gold just like the Frankie I had, the other (Robert) seems to be brighter then most of the Dorado I see pics of.

Who knows? I think mine are close to the size mentioned and not anywhere near as gold as I'd like them to be.

Wonder if something's missing from their diet?

Reactions: RuckusLV

greenerinks

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2014
Shanghai, China
Actually heard from my supplier that doradoes need sunlight uv to bring out their gold colors kind of like arowanas. There's a shop in Taiwan that has doradoes in a window tank with sun everyday and they are all golden.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Actually heard from my supplier that doradoes need sunlight uv to bring out their gold colors kind of like arowanas. There's a shop in Taiwan that has doradoes in a window tank with sun everyday and they are all golden.
That's interesting. Didn't know that.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
This makes sense and works well with what I've been saying for years: wild caught fish in clear water appear to be more yellow than ones from murky water.

Reactions: greenerinks

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Thanks for the replies. The theory of direct sunlight is interesting, and very plausible.
I'll just have to wait and see. Robert looks great DB.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store