Double tank rack

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Definitely doable. I have a fairly simple design in my head for this involving triple-plyed 2x4 beams and posts, interlocked at the top shelf joints to form a very solid and stiff top shelf. Simple enough i sketched it up fairly quickly at work. Apologies if its a little off scale, i have no fancy grid paper or computer program in hand to make it look official.
20240429_114252.jpg

All dimensional 2x4 lumber, thing would be around 84"x19"x40-42" overall depending on the clearance on bottom shelf. The trick would be to construct the inside "frame" of the top shelf first and then build the stand from the inside out essentially.

Alternatively you could use thicker lumber for the beams, but i was just using 2x4 to keep costs low and clearance on the lower shelf as much as possible. A piece of 3/4" plywood mounted to the top would add significant strength to the top shelf as well.

You would need a few boxes of 3", 4.5", and 6" deck screws and it would not hurt to wood glue the beams and posts together as well.

Apologies if this isnt what you were looking for. Sounds like a fun project keep us posted when you get it goin.

Last edited:

beau1990

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2018
Stanford Kentucky
Definitely doable. I have a fairly simple design in my head for this involving triple-plyed 2x4 beams and posts, interlocked at the top shelf joints to form a very solid and stiff top shelf. Simple enough i sketched it up fairly quickly at work. Apologies if its a little off scale, i have no fancy grid paper or computer program in hand to make it look official.
View attachment 1541196

All dimensional 2x4 lumber, thing would be around 84"x19"x40-42" overall depending on the clearance on bottom shelf. The trick would be to construct the inside "frame" of the top shelf first and then build the stand from the inside out essentially.

Alternatively you could use thicker lumber for the beams, but i was just using 2x4 to keep costs low and clearance on the lower shelf as much as possible. A piece of 3/4" plywood mounted to the top would add significant strength to the top shelf as well.

You would need a few boxes of 3", 4.5", and 6" deck screws and it would not hurt to wood glue the beams and posts together as well.

Apologies if this isnt what you were looking for. Sounds like a fun project keep us posted when you get it goin.
Oh no this is exactly what I was thinking I just wanted to make sure because it will be freakin heavy I didn’t want one to fall on the other. That’s alotta water to have on the floor

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Oh no this is exactly what I was thinking I just wanted to make sure because it will be freakin heavy I didn’t want one to fall on the other. That’s alotta water to have on the floor
The stand itself will be weighty but not so heavy that you cant slide it around by yourself imo. If youre talking about the top aquarium falling, the 16x 2x4s suspending the top shelf and triple-ply 2x4 posts and beams+plywood top would be more than sufficient imo, you should not see any bowing/deflection at all.

One thing to note is that the opening on each end will only be around 9" wide, so not many options for mounting equipment on ends of the lower tank, but canister hookups or similar should be able to fit.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store