Dovii - Managuense - What is the difference?

cichlid_8810

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Hi everone,

I read a few previous posts about these two species and someone suggested that they thought that Managuense and Dovii were practically the same thing. Obviously they are not but I think what they meant was they behave the same way and look similar in certain ways.

So I want to find out from anyone that has kept them both, how do these guys differ from each other?

Visually they are the same shape - coming from the Parachromis family. But how do they differ in terms of aggression & power, nutrition, water quality and overall behavior. Do Managuenses on average accept tank mates a little more than Dovii?

And just a light hearted debate if your interested - which one is the more powerful of the two?

Thanks

greenterra

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
While they have similar traits, I personally think they look nothing alike. Color and shape. Dovii are without doubt the more aggressive of the two and as such harder to keep in a community. Dovii require a much larger territory than jags, which is why they tend to be much more aggressive. Jags are more territorial than outright aggressive but given enough room will be quite easy to comm. This is why I choose them over dovii. If I was to keep a solo tank only, I would probably choose dovii.

Here's a quick vid of couple I had side by side. I could keep the jag in a community tank which I normally did but not a hope doing the same with the dovii. Although the jag is much larger at nearly 17" in this vid, he wouldn't stand a chance with the dovii. ;)
[YT]CNVvX0GR_Sg[/YT]

High City Rida

C.R.E.A.M.
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2008
In the air and I ain't comin down!
I agree 100% with greenterra. I would say Dovii are the Top of the Parachromis sp and Mag's being second in the line of of the five. Dovii are for sure more dominant and demanding imo.. I have always had mine mixed in the same tank but I have yet to have them co exist at adult sizes just not enough room in any of the aquriums I have owned. I am getting away with it at moment but this is subject to change at any giving moment I also have 90% female in hopes that this will dispell the aggresion and damage being dealt out on one another. I have only two males and there both Dovii. I had a male Jag but it didn't make it. My next addition will be a 12'' male Freddie to see how that will work. Hopefully I will find a male Jag that will be welcomed into the fold but as said before very territorial. Which usually leads to there demise.

NWatson

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2009
Cincinnati
I have both and if I had to choose between the two I would choose the Dovii hands down. In my opinion Dovii are much more aggressive, interactive and by far more powerful. They are the most outright aggressive fish I have owned. I would highly recommend a species only tank as there are not many success stories of Dovii with others once mature adults. You will need a much larger tank with Dovii as well. As nutrition goes I feed both species the same diet as they are both carnivorous fish, Pellets, Krill and shrimp. Jags do accept tank mates much better as long as there is not a pair.

cichlid_8810

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Nice info guys. Very interesting. Apparently my local store is getting a large Dovii in soon from a customer who no longer wants it I am going to have a look as I haven't seen one in person before.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store