Doviis....Red and Regulars 3-26-09 load warning!!

Mad About Cichlids

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2004
Twin Cities, MN
Update

The "red" pair bred on the weekend of March 28-29 but had to move out before the 31st so I destroyed the eggs.

Not lost of tanks or fishes this move, still no net at new place yet so will post updates of my fishes soon.

themancmt

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2006
Riverview Michigan
they all are costa rican dovii. thick, elongated and yellow as hell. the females in the pics of the "red" and "normal" are both costa rican. if they are mixed with mota (i dont think they are) they will not get as big as other dovii. they are All costa rican dovii and the "red" will get darker as they grow and end up a dark redish brown color.

young_rico

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 2, 2008
houston
themancmt;2998683; said:
they all are costa rican dovii. thick, elongated and yellow as hell. the females in the pics of the "red" and "normal" are both costa rican. if they are mixed with mota (i dont think they are) they will not get as big as other dovii. they are All costa rican dovii and the "red" will get darker as they grow and end up a dark redish brown color.
+1
here is mine at 7.5" you cant really see the color of the dots because i took this pic with my phone but they are reddish brown.

Piranhas and Cichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
Bowie MD
Nice fish young_rico. My 6" Dovii actually looks just like the ones in the original posters pictures. I thought he was a male initially. Then I posted video and many members told me he was a female. After having him for several weeks, and observing his color changes and his behavior with female fish, I'm certain he's a male. Anyway, he has the red spots right now and I was wondering why. When I purchased him he was the largest of about 5 at the fish store and they all looked like this. They told me they were wild caught. I'm leaning towards agreeing with the folks who said they were the Costa Rican variant.

danny2875

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
Astoria, NY
You have costa rican dovii. They are heavy in yellow or gold color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store