Down the Tropheus hole

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Very thankful to a local hobbyist who started me on this new challenge. The gift of 13 Tropheus sp. 'black' Bemba 'Flame' has definitely changed the dynamics of the 115g.
They are squabbling over space behind the dark tower. The two males are working out dominance too. I have two pumps and a large powerhead to make the focus more on swimming than fighting.4C8B1588-B60E-4F77-BB85-DDFCB5326577.jpeg

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Quite a small group for 115 gallons. But it might still work because of only two males. Good luck and keep these two things in mind:
2. Tropheus can react way worse than other fish to foreign bacteria. Every addition of new fish literally means risking the whole group. I know some guys who slowly add water from the new fish's tank over weeks to the Tropheus tank to give them time to get used to potential foreign pathogens.

1. Keep your hands out of the tank!
This does not mean that you shouldn't put your hands in if necessary. It means you should make it unnecessary to put them there. Do not change the decorations, filter, current and other parameters if not really needed. Each change can cause fatal stress or can disturb the group hierarchy which can be fatal too.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Love Tropheus, best of luck with them. If you haven't read this in the past, now might be a good time.
Bloat - Causes - Cures - and BIG Myths | MonsterFishKeepers.com

Tropheus have some simple rules, if you follow them closely they can be as easy as keeping any other group of 4" fish.
If you attempt to bend those rules, bad things can happen. As Milingu stated, the results from any form of stress is something that can not be overstated with this genus.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I currently am running a 1350gph DC pump, a ~500gph pump and a large power head. All three outlets are pointed in different directions to create irregular currents. I’m considering either a larger DC pump 1800-2600gph or a controllable wave make. The tank is 115g (50in x 24in x 22in).
Question, since Tropheus inhabit the wave surf zone where the is strong constantly changing water movement, how much flow is to much?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A local breeder kept numerous WC variants successfully for many years in his fishroom, and his tanks were all air-sponge filtered. So, almost no flow. You have plenty of flow already.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Changed up the scape to see if the males will redistribute. I’m not sure if they will as the back corner seems to be the prime location.
I’m open to ideas though. 7145C983-A584-489E-A902-BB08FF6E9AFC.jpeg

Reactions: Alexxxxsv14

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Black trash bags make great, cheap instant backgrounds78FABC19-BC71-42D8-921C-0FEF83241A5F.jpeg

Reactions: Joshuakahan

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Changing the scape isn’t going to make any difference, unless by doing so the footprint of your tank magically triples in size.
Little things like that are often the beginning of bad things in a tropheus tank. Change = stress. Stress = bloat.

Reactions: Milingu

Milingu

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2015
Changing the scape isn’t going to make any difference, unless by doing so the footprint of your tank magically triples in size.
Little things like that are often the beginning of bad things in a tropheus tank. Change = stress. Stress = bloat.
+1
That's why I wrote to keep the hands of the tank.

Reactions: RD.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The local breeder that I previously mentioned, never once had a case of bloat in any of his tanks. He knew from experience not to mess with things, once the fish were settled, and hierarchy was established. The only time he put his hands in his tanks was to remove holding females, to strip fry. But he was methodical, and careful not to stress the colony out. At one point his 2,000+ gallon fish room consisted of the following Tang species.

Tropheus Moorii Kambimbwe Red Rainbow
Tropheus sp. Red Chimba
Tropheus Moorii Ilangi
Tropheus moorii Bemba orange flame
Tropheus duboisi Maswa
Tropheus moorii Ikola Kaiser
Tropheus moorii Kiriza kaiser II
Tropheus moorii Bulu Point cherry spots

Julidochromis transcriptus Gombi
Julidochromis ornatus

Cyprichromis leptosoma Utinta “Fluorescent”
Paracyprichromis nigripinnis “Blue Neon”

Cyathopharynx foae sibwesa
Cyathopharynx foae kekese
Opthalmotilapia boops neon streak
Cyathopharynx foae mbita

Cyphotilapia frontosa Mpimbwe blue

Neolamprologus brichardi
Neolamprologus "daffodil"
Neolamprologus leleupi
Neolamprologus cylindricus
Neolamprologus multifasciatus

Enatiopus (Xenotilapia) melanogenys
Xenotilapia spilopterous mabilibili

As far as dominance, and hierarchy within a group of tropheus - I once watched a young male black Bemba, maybe an inch in total length, aggressively defend a sponge filter that he had laid claim to, keeping the rest of the fry/juvies in this otherwise bare grow out tank, at bay. So in a tank your size, with only two males, there's really no getting around the inevitable, and adding more males at this point is out of the question. The two males will always fight, no different than two boxers forced to live in the same ring. It's simply in their nature.

Reactions: fishguy1978
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store