Drilling acrylic tank easy??.

PhysicsDude

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2011
Dallas, TX
Super easy to drill.

Go at a pretty slow speed and moderate pressure to keep the acrylic from melting.

Watch the other side of the tank, and note how far you're in the tank by looking at how far the pilot bit is sticking out.

When the hole saw is almost through, increase the drill speed, and put very little pressure on the holesaw, this will prevent the tank from cracking a little bit and "blowing out" on the inside of the hole.

I drilled 5 holes in my tank with a regular hole-saw from home depot. Was not hard, but take your time and don't rush it.

CichlaLoverer

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sheboygan WI
Super easy to drill.

Go at a pretty slow speed and moderate pressure to keep the acrylic from melting.

Watch the other side of the tank, and note how far you're in the tank by looking at how far the pilot bit is sticking out.

When the hole saw is almost through, increase the drill speed, and put very little pressure on the holesaw, this will prevent the tank from cracking a little bit and "blowing out" on the inside of the hole.

I drilled 5 holes in my tank with a regular hole-saw from home depot. Was not hard, but take your time and don't rush it.
Sound really easy than.... I will give it a try and update u guys
Thanks

TheSinisterSOB

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
A little place called C At Hell
Good job, glad it was a success.

Heart must've been going 1000mph

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
A while back I bought a brand new 90g glass. I drilled it. Totally nerve-wracking. Its something to drill some old piece of junk or some little tank, but when the stakes are high it's terrifying

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CichlaLoverer

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Sheboygan WI
How long did it take?

Sent from my SM-G900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
It took about a minute a hole.. I use a electric drill and I had my brother keep on spraying water so I didn't have to stop if the drill was getting too hot and didn't worry about melting

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
have you ever drilled wood? then you can drill acrylic. just don't apply as much pressure go made rarely fast and slow down at the end

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store