Drilling Tanks

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
drilling acryilic you just go down to home depot and buy a hole saw for the size you need. Then drill away. No jig, no water.

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca
Hole saw??? sorry like i have said b4 im a newb to this. is this a circular bit of some sorts?

ozz465

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2006
Ca

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
Ahhhh, drilling glass tanks, thats always exciting. Don't you just love the sound of it though.:shocked:

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
softturtle;550419; said:
Ahhhh, drilling glass tanks, thats always exciting. Don't you just love the sound of it though.:shocked:
Ya mean like the sound of fingernails on a blackboard? Ya get use to that...I think. I am on my sixth tank. I will let you know when it kicks in.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Here is a couple of pictures showing the difference of a hole saw for wood and plastic vs. one for glass or stone. Note that the one for wood and plastic has a drill bit in the center. This keeps the thing from drifting all over the place. Thus a jig is not needed. Since the one for glass does not have a center bit, a jig is needed to keep its location in one central place. The jig also holds water to keep the bit cool. Water is a must because the heat generated will weaken the bonding material in the bit and the diamonds will pop off. No diamonds, no cutting.

DSC00005.JPG

DSC00004.JPG

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
And while I am playing Show-n-Tell, here are more pictures:

The first shows the billet cut from a ten gallon tank and my 15g breeder tanks. The breeder tanks are about three times the weight of a ten gallon tank and the glass is a little thicker than double. I love my breeder tanks.

The ugly ass tank in the second pic is one of my breeder tanks. That is how I got them. The guy scraped some of the paint on all of them but didn't scrape a single tank clean. :screwy: For forty bucks for 120 gallons of breeder tanks, I think I can put the time in scraping them. I have all but two done so I think my raw bleeding fingers will survive.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
A very small one...:D

Bigger holes need bigger tools.

And don't ANYBODY GO THERE, I know what your thinking CHOMPERS etc. this is a family show. :ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store