Drip Setup - Drain Location

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
Thinking about setting up a drip system for the first time with my setup. Right now my sump is currently laid out like the diagram below, with a drilled hole in the top corner. I'd like to use this existing hole as opposed to drilling one where the pump chamber is. Would this still work? Are there any issues with the hole placement for a drip system in this setup?

drip.png

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Thinking about setting up a drip system for the first time with my setup. Right now my sump is currently laid out like the diagram below, with a drilled hole in the top corner. I'd like to use this existing hole as opposed to drilling one where the pump chamber is. Would this still work? Are there any issues with the hole placement for a drip system in this setup?

View attachment 1341115
Unfortunately you will need to drill a new hole.

A gravity drain must be at the lowest water level in the sump (far left in the design above). If not, water will rise over the baffles until the existing drain is eventually reached.

On the plus side you will love that placement of you ever convert that sump to a K1 setup. The height helps in that case.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I would drip into the pump compartment and drill the drain hole in the compartment to the right of it. This way the fresh water will circulate through the tank before making it to the drain.

I drilled my drain hole pretty low in the sump. I put an elbow on the inside of the drain bulkhead and cut a piece of pipe to adjust the height of the water level in the sump.

You could use the existing hole for an emergency drain. If the main drain gets plugged and the sump fills the emergency drain will prevent a flood.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasMFK31

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
Unfortunately you will need to drill a new hole.

A gravity drain must be at the lowest water level in the sump (far left in the design above). If not, water will rise over the baffles until the existing drain is eventually reached.

On the plus side you will love that placement of you ever convert that sump to a K1 setup. The height helps in that case.
That might be okay, right now that hole is halfway under the baffle height. I'm planning on doing fully submerged media with a bit of K1. In that case can I get away with not drilling? Is there a risk of the water draining out faster than it can drip? Or losing too much during a power outage?

aeri

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2007
Toronto
I would drip into the pump compartment and drill the drain hole in the compartment to the right of it. This way the fresh water will circulate through the tank before making it to the drain.

I drilled my drain hole pretty low in the sump. I put an elbow on the inside of the drain bulkhead and cut a piece of pipe to adjust the height of the water level in the sump.

You could use the existing hole for an emergency drain. If the main drain gets plugged and the sump fills the emergency drain will prevent a flood.
Thanks, that makes sense to put the hole before the drip. If I have to resort to drilling I will do it that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store