Drip System for Stingrays

Raymann88

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2011
Canada
You are correct. The lower the micron the more it filters out. If your water supply has high sediments, pre filtering with a couple different sizes (eg. 10 then 5 micron) would last longer than just having a 5 micron filter that would clog up right away.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
You are correct. The lower the micron the more it filters out. If your water supply has high sediments, pre filtering with a couple different sizes (eg. 10 then 5 micron) would last longer than just having a 5 micron filter that would clog up right away.

I use 5 micron and it's still white after 3-6 months but I feel the carbon must be dead after that time so I change all 3 as they come in sets of 3

I also run a booster pump before the sediment filter to boost it up to 80psi the have a T after the carbon blocks and take 65psi of that to the twin RO membraines and the other 15psi to the tank

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
I have 3 stage so 3 pods first pod sediment second pod pod is a coconut carbon third pod is a carbon block

If you buy RO pre filter sets they work out cheaper

I'm lost now with the micron so does 5 micron filter out more or less than 30 micron

As I always thought the lower micron stopped smaller partials than a higher micron

Meaning the 5 micron would filter the water to the carbon block better than a 30 micron

^ correct. Think of micron as the size of the particulate. A 1 micron filter will stop a 2 micron particle. A 5 micron filter will let a 4 micron particle through that a 1 micron would have stopped. Smaller the micron, the more particulate it will filter out.

Less is not more in this case. I do not run a 1 micron when it looks like I should because 1 micron would clog in a couple of days risking my system (lesser of two evils and pregnant females indicate things are healthy). That would work fine for Trevor though since he is not dealing with the city water issue I am this summer. Finding the right size for your system takes some toying with until you are happy. 5 micron is just a great recommendation for people who do not have one yet. A great sediment filter.

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Can't wait until I am in my house and can start playing with all this. So much I want to do for my fish but I am restricted from due to my apartment.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store