Drip system?

specialized002

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 11, 2009
Northwest Indiana
How about 800w for that size of tank? Am I short of what I should have? My basement is about 64 degrees so I only need to heat 18-20 degrees. Is it hurting me to have it in the sump or should it be ok?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Does anyone else feel weary using water from a hot water tank? Mine is 4 years old with a fresh anode and it's roughly 200ppm higher in tds after letting the samples sit 24 hours, all of which I'm assuming are metals.

Instead of adding hot water, I'm planning on doing a heat exchanger from the hot water tank eventually to save some electric.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
There is nothing wrong with using water from the heater if it is clean. I put a new water heater in last year and drain the tank every two months just to have it ready for hooking to the drip.

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
I actually dont wanna use the hot water but last night I tried dripping hot water into my heat exchanger just for the hell of it and this morning my tank was 82 degrees, 4 more than what I usually keep it at. Pretty effective so I think ill setup a way to run hot water through a line submerged in my sump or setup another way to use the hot water to preheat the incoming water even more after its warmed by my heat exhanger.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
They clog. Are not consistent flow wise.

uploadfromtaptalk1424461416029.jpguploadfromtaptalk1424461435603.jpg

why is that? What do you use?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

raideranch

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
TX
Does anyone else feel weary using water from a hot water tank? Mine is 4 years old with a fresh anode and it's roughly 200ppm higher in tds after letting the samples sit 24 hours, all of which I'm assuming are metals.

Instead of adding hot water, I'm planning on doing a heat exchanger from the hot water tank eventually to save some electric.
Good info, thanks for sharing

Sent from my XT1030 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
The mixing valves typically dont work under 0.5gpm
That could take some work to overcome. This is why I should stay of this site. Now I am thinking about building a mixing valve setup, that I have no need for, just to see if I can make it work.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
The mixing valves typically dont work under 0.5gpm
Might have thought of a solution. Recirculate the outflow back to the cold side to get the needed flow for the valve to work. This would also save the energy used to heat the water by slightly preheating the cold input and not having to reheat it on the hot side. Would still need the prevalve loop on the hot side but there would be very little loss there. Might need a small accumulator on the cold side to keep the pump running smoothly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store