Drop eye, to the extreme

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
If food is one of the reason why aros get DE, how come DE happens sometimes on 1 eye ONLY? It should be both eyes. I do not think people get fat to 1 cheek or 1 arm only. haha I guess it is more about head trauma and genetics; too much mass breeding instead of selective breeding. What if the silver aros are bred from parents which already have DE? Chances are greater that the young ones will have DE too; genetics
I have a theory for that. It runs with the head trauma. I have noticed that my aros all seem to have a side they breach to. Much like being right or left handed. The side they breach to gets the brunt of the hit and thus gets the de on that side. Something I have noticed with my aros over the years.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

CeD_^

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
Mauritius
I have a theory for that. It runs with the head trauma. I have noticed that my aros all seem to have a side they breach to. Much like being right or left handed. The side they breach to gets the brunt of the hit and thus gets the de on that side. Something I have noticed with my aros over the years.

My RTG got DE in one eye only. Also, i always give it the same diet, pellets, chicken heart and dried shrimp. it has been 3 years now that i raised it and so far only 1 eye has DE. If it was caused by food, then i think that both eyes should have DE by now.

Sonsinator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2008
where the corruption never ends
I remember 4 years ago when I saw a 3' silver arowana in a 40 gal tank and the de and condition is just too horrible. I hoped that someone have bought her already and was placed in a really nice tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..

Agree with this, but not forcibly in relation to the trauma. Even without trauma that could explain the one eye issue.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Agree with this, but not forcibly in relation to the trauma. Even without trauma that could explain the one eye issue.
I am curious to how you feel it could explain the one eye without trauma? Are you suggesting they look down with the one eye more or something along those lines?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
My RTG got DE in one eye only. Also, i always give it the same diet, pellets, chicken heart and dried shrimp. it has been 3 years now that i raised it and so far only 1 eye has DE. If it was caused by food, then i think that both eyes should have DE by now.
I just have trouble with the notion that excess fat from foods is going to build up behind an eye. Though if it did one would think it would happen equally between both eyes.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I am curious to how you feel it could explain the one eye without trauma? Are you suggesting they look down with the one eye more or something along those lines?

Yep. Exactly that came to my mind. Their movement may be more in one direction than the other.

It happens a lot with superior animals....

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I just have trouble with the notion that excess fat from foods is going to build up behind an eye. Though if it did one would think it would happen equally between both eyes.
The body isn't always perfectly symmetrical, girls always have one boob slightly bigger than the other! ;)

But you're right it does seem strange that it would be so uneven in many cases if that were the cause. Next time someone loses a big silver with DE they need to do some dissecting and try to see just what is in there behind the droopy eye.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I believe it to be adipous tissue, irrespective of the cause.

oscar01

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2007
north america
I have run a experiment for the last 4 years on this problem with silver arowanas , in two large vats 21' x 8' x 2' deep I had 7 fish in each , over just the last year I had one fish develop it in one of it's eyes. The fish are now 3 feet and have been raised on floating sticks and frozen smelt that they did eat off the bottom, although not many made it that far.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store