Dual purpose drip system?

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I have my 220 down stairs and my baby girls 10 gallon up stars almost directly above it. If I ran the drip line to the 10 gallon and dripped 1gph and then drain the 10 gallons drip over flow to the 220 gallon. Would I get the benefit in both tanks?

I would think I would, since 1gph would be about 2.5 times the 10 gallons volume each day. So I figure thats basically 90% of the 10 gallons water changed each day, so the water leaving the 10 going to the 220 should be essentially pure tap. The 10 gallon has 2 glow fish and 1 neon tetra so the bioload is very low. I was going to just drip 1GPH to the 220 and then use a needle valve and drip 1GPD to the 10G.

Thoughts? I am for sure some time in the next month or so going to be dripping the 10G just haven't decided how. Its pretty hard to change the water in it.

dawnmarie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2009
California Delta
www.eddosharbor.com
It would work fine. You'll have exceptional water quality in the 10 and acceptable water quality in the 220.
Keep in mind any problems or meds added to the 10 will now be in the 220.
You might want to plumb in the ability to bypass the 10.
I would think your heater in the 10 will be working a bit harder as a result.
Does your source water require treatment before use ?

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
I have cholramines but I uses a cholarmine filter before it hits the tank. I thought about the heater but its a 200Watt heater in the 10 gallon tank so that's 20watt per gallon.

I could setup the system so I can bypass the 10 and only drip the 220, or drip both and have the 10 drain the floor drain in case of an issue.

Water is not horrible in the 220 only 40 - 60 ppm nitrate, only looking to drop it to 20ppm. Lord only knows about the 10gallon, I have never done a water change on it, since I put it up in march; just top it off.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store