Duckweed?

HackJob

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
NH
There is a place in Milford, NH that carrys duckweed. If you just wait a few weeks look around in the local ponds, usually there is a ton of it. I use a net scoop out a lot of it then wash it out in 5 gallon buckets. A few washes usually cleans out most of the muck. Be aware of any "hitch hikers" that be introduced, most of the time the are mostly harmless.

kavin2845

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2012
Malden,Massachusetts
There is a place in Milford, NH that carrys duckweed. If you just wait a few weeks look around in the local ponds, usually there is a ton of it. I use a net scoop out a lot of it then wash it out in 5 gallon buckets. A few washes usually cleans out most of the muck. Be aware of any "hitch hikers" that be introduced, most of the time the are mostly harmless.
Lol ill do that then thx guys!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
i was looking at getting some duckweed also would it be safe for an aquarium if i got it from a swamp? i would be putting it with two festaes and a green terror

Aquaticmatt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
Cardiff UK
I wouldnt from a swamp. You could bring in anything with it and it would be loaded with nitrates.All my cics eat it. Or put a thimble full of washed duckweed in a bowl outside and in a couple of weeks it wil be covered with new plantlets.

Sent from my LG-E400 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I wouldnt from a swamp. You could bring in anything with it and it would be loaded with nitrates.All my cics eat it. Or put a thimble full of washed duckweed in a bowl outside and in a couple of weeks it wil be covered with new plantlets.

Sent from my LG-E400 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
This is the best advice. If you take a little and grow it yourself you know it's coming from a clean environment before putting it in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store