Dwarf Seahorses automatic feeding

FlowerhornLani

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2023
That's outstanding. Had a pair of yellow hippo campus erectus in the early 80's weaned them off live brine shrimp. They learned to eat frozen Mysis shrimp. They spawned a couple of times but I didn't have resources or time to raise the fry.
That’s how I feel, since they only live around two years for me I noticed a few fry will grow up and replace the colony over and over, but the number never goes above 6. I started out with four. The tank will be filled with babies and then they slowly diminish and the few that grow up replace them. Now that I’m able to spend more time on the hobby again I might get a big tank and start raising them all, I definitely find it confusing how one day there is 100 babies and the next day 10 or so. I figure they’re so small once they pass they quickly disappear.

Reactions: tlindsey

FlowerhornLani

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2023
You should look into a dosing pump setup, you'd likely find lots of designs and setups if you looked at what NPS coral keepers come up with. Just a dosing pump hooked up to a bottle of baby brine/feed solution. IIRC, dosing pumps are a little pricey though.
Thanks for the rec I’m looking them up now!

FlowerhornLani

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2023
Noticed the price for seahorses have gotten really expensive.
I know, they were $22 each when I originally got them and now I see a single dwarf seahorse selling for $129 on some sites, not sure why at all. I’ve never kept the bigger species but hoping to get a tank up and running for a pair soon

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I believe live rock definitely supports food for Seahorses, Pipefish, and Dragonets. Although I fed mysis shrimp the seahorses would pick off coepods off the live rock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store