Easy fish to begin breeding

ahud

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2009
I think Rainbow Cichlids (Archocentrus multispinosus) are neck and neck with convicts for easiest to spawn.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Convict cichlids readily breed in captivity and are good parents. They're tolerant of a broad range of conditions. They'll breed in a cup of coffee with cream and 2 sugars.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Goldfish are quite easy for coldwater. You must just cull fry often to reduce numbers and raise quality fish. Definitely want it to be my first breeding project when i can finance such a thing. It may be my second if my african knives are in fact pairing

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Many of the barbs are easy to breed I had some cherry barbs for 8 years and they prob would of lived longer if I hadn't bought a new tank mate. Another fish that I find easy to breed are hybrid sunfish just get a male and a female in breeding condition1should be a green sunfish and the other a bluegill place in a outdoor tub and that's it

Binge

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2014
Ohio
Rams do well as long as they have rock work to claim ( and no bigger fish to eat the fry)

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Hello; Some of the cichlids are simple to induce to breed. several have already been named. One issue to think about is what to do with the fry. I have raised the kribensis several times and had a hard time with the fry. The males are very territorial and present some problems when kept in groups in a community tank. The betta splendens (Siamese fighting fish) have the same sort of issues in that the male offspring need to be homed in separate containers.

One fish I have had good luck inducing to spawn are the zebra danioes. They scatter eggs that are non sticky which allows a simple screened breeding trap to be made. The fry are very easy to have in a community tank and a school of zebras is attractive.

Good luck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store