EBA eggs/fry

OutbackJack

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2023
EBAmomma.jpg

A few days ago, I noticed my smaller EBA was hanging out a lot in the corner of my tank and it actually started to worry me. Kinda forgot about it after noticing she was fine and not doing anything worrying. Just got done cleaning some sponge filters I keep on the inlet ports of my HOB and canister; noticed that were strange ball things on some driftwood. Then it hit me. THOSE ARE EGGS.

I'm kinda ecstatic; I've never had fish lay eggs in an aquarium before. Now that I've reached this step; I assume I need to get a small aquarium with a gentle filter. Are EBAs very protective of the eggs? Just asking because the dojos I posted earlier are damn near on the levels of Tarrare when it comes to hunger. They worry me lol

Anyways, I appreciate all tips and advice.

But dude, this is so cool, I just had to show it off!

Reactions: tlindsey

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
EBA eggs will hatch in about 5 days. The parents are very protective and will guard the eggs and wiggling aggressively. But don’t count on the fry until they are free swimming. You can either siphon the fry into a nursery tank or remove all tankmates leaving the fry and parents . Although EBA (unlike other electric blue) lay fertile eggs, I experienced high mortality rate with the fry. I had no luck raising the fry alive beyond two weeks post free swimming. I’m not sure whether their weakness is due to hybridization, mutation or both.

LiquidUtopia

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2023
Every 30 days I have approx 700 fry from EBA....they are great parents for about 2 weeks then they seem to get fed up and the fry will be fair game. Depending on what's in your tank they will widdle down to about 50 or so at end of 2 week period.
I always keep them with parents for 2 weeks then I start stealing as many as I can and move to a diff tank. Secret is to feed microworms as soon as they start swimming. Once you see feeding should be fine to move after 2 weeks. I also use large sticks and parents will grind them up to feed fry. Biggest problem is if they aren't feeding on worms they won't survive being alone. They always seem to rely on parents telling them to feed. At least that's what I'm observing. I've had so many babies now I'm kinda of getting fed up. DO NOT move them until 2 week period is up. Male will want to breed again if the fry are gone and can get angry with female and may best her up. Tanks a few weeks til she's ready to lay again. My pair are also kind of struggling. Last 2 batches they started great then after 2nd or 3 day the eggs were eaten. They seem to be fighting with each other and I'm not sure if its the other male causing jealous fight or what.
Hopefully will stop and breed some more but atm I have about 30 babies about size of a dime in a grow out tank, all looking really good.
Sad part is EBA ar like convicts, nobody seems to want LOL. In my main tank I have 2 males about 5 inches and female about 4 inch.
Hopefully you can keep them alive and have some enjoyment. Good luck

OutbackJack

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2023
Every 30 days I have approx 700 fry from EBA....they are great parents for about 2 weeks then they seem to get fed up and the fry will be fair game. Depending on what's in your tank they will widdle down to about 50 or so at end of 2 week period.
I always keep them with parents for 2 weeks then I start stealing as many as I can and move to a diff tank. Secret is to feed microworms as soon as they start swimming. Once you see feeding should be fine to move after 2 weeks. I also use large sticks and parents will grind them up to feed fry. Biggest problem is if they aren't feeding on worms they won't survive being alone. They always seem to rely on parents telling them to feed. At least that's what I'm observing. I've had so many babies now I'm kinda of getting fed up. DO NOT move them until 2 week period is up. Male will want to breed again if the fry are gone and can get angry with female and may best her up. Tanks a few weeks til she's ready to lay again. My pair are also kind of struggling. Last 2 batches they started great then after 2nd or 3 day the eggs were eaten. They seem to be fighting with each other and I'm not sure if its the other male causing jealous fight or what.
Hopefully will stop and breed some more but atm I have about 30 babies about size of a dime in a grow out tank, all looking really good.
Sad part is EBA ar like convicts, nobody seems to want LOL. In my main tank I have 2 males about 5 inches and female about 4 inch.
Hopefully you can keep them alive and have some enjoyment. Good luck
oh... oops, I may have moved them already due to watching the female start to eat the eggs. Is it a good idea to move them back or just leave them in the nursery basket thing for right now. They're still in the same tank, just sectioned off; but I'm sure I don't need to explain that lol

Seriously though, I've never seen fish be so parental. The male and female would switch guard duty lol

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
move them back or just leave them in the nursery basket thing
You can't move them back. Did you place a airstone near the eggs it will keep debris off the eggs. The female will normally do that by fanning the eggs with her fins. Experienced female will eat the infertile eggs.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
oh... oops, I may have moved them already due to watching the female start to eat the eggs. Is it a good idea to move them back or just leave them in the nursery basket thing for right now. They're still in the same tank, just sectioned off; but I'm sure I don't need to explain that lol

Seriously though, I've never seen fish be so parental. The male and female would switch guard duty lol
I don’t think your female was eating the eggs. She was just nurturing the eggs, moving them around and picking out fungus ones as they start to wiggle. The hatching rate is much higher with the parents around than without as fungus can spread and consume the entire batch. Since the parents are still in the same tank, taking off the partition to allow the parents return to the eggs should do no harm.

OutbackJack

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2023
well damn, I feel like **** now. Woke up this morning and seen that fungi had spread to the rest of the eggs. I should've waited longer and not been so hasty. Lesson learned; I do appreciate the knowledge though and I'll know better for next time. That didn't take long at all; dang fish were better parents than I was.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store