EBJD deformed ?

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
I bought a baby EBJD a while back. The more it grows, however, the more I'm certain he's deformed. Is it just me or is his head too large for his body and his fins are not normal? Maybe it's cuz he's still only 3 inch.

I know my front glass is filthy I just like to let the snails and pleco do their thing

1499876805579428220269.jpg

20170712_122000.jpg

20170712_121946.jpg

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada
looks to me like what I usually call "beak face". common deformity in EBJD, the genetics are truly crap, especially if you got it from a store as it sounds like from your post

Reactions: GamerChick5567

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
I agree with JakeAlmighty on the "beak". This guy looks exactly like my first ever EBJD did lol
My guy also had the deformed beak and similar looking fins. I purchased him from Aquascapeonline about 7 years ago. I had him for 2 years and he grew to almost 7", until he passed away from the stress of me moving to a new place

make sure you vac the gravel and do at least two 50%+ water changes a week and you should be good. find a good staple pellet that he enjoys, while mixing in some wild caught white fish - I used lots of cod when it was available (I only used wild caught)

with quality water and proper care he could grow up to be quite the looker!

IMG_5454.PNG

IMG_0164.JPG

bobblehead27

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 15, 2010
Tampa Area
Yea I thought so but something was just telling me maybe just maybe it was just young.

Athletic amph wow yup that looks just like mine. It's great to see that the deformity isn't necessarily life threatening.

Another question I've been wondering is how do you tell male from female with ebjd since the telltale beard isn't prevalent? (Not that I'd be looking to breed this guy, just want to know what I've got) I've heard that it's mostly males but some are females...

JakeAlmighty

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2016
Canada
Yea I thought so but something was just telling me maybe just maybe it was just young.

Athletic amph wow yup that looks just like mine. It's great to see that the deformity isn't necessarily life threatening.

Another question I've been wondering is how do you tell male from female with ebjd since the telltale beard isn't prevalent? (Not that I'd be looking to breed this guy, just want to know what I've got) I've heard that it's mostly males but some are females...

you need to vent the fish to determine sex. there are indicators both ways possible, but they are unreliable and can be displayed by both sexes. Venting is the only way to tell for sure.

Tahn

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2016
Central NJ
If you want EBJD's, I'd recommend ordering from Aquascape. When I was in there they had a tank full of them, they were the usual 3 inches or so, but apparently they get EBJD's straight from the guy who originally bred them (forgot his name). It was writtin on the glass, that they got em from him.

Reactions: bobblehead27

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The person who originally bred these fish, Hector Luzardo, has been dead for years.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store