EBJD x Platinum Jack Dempsey Attempt

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
I'm going to see if I can pair an EBJD with a Platinum.

My Platinum JDs are large enough that they could start to breed, so I took Jexnell's EBJD and put it in the tank with my Platinums. Crossing fingers, b/c the platinums are quite a bit smaller than the male EBJD.

He's chasing them all around, but I am seeing the female Platinums starting to spar a bit, so I think that his presence is getting them in the mood.

20180221-EBxPlat-4.png 20180221-EBxPlat-2.png

Last edited:

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
This will be interesting, I know it's been a while since I've seen anyone try to breed a blue to another blue. Wondering if the genetic pool has grown enough to accomplish this. As a side note what size tanks are you using to breed and grow out? I've had pretty decent success breeding them in a 40 breeder but the growth rates of my blues/Platinums have been frustratingly slow.

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
I breed them in a 40 breeder or 55. I move the wigglers to a 10 gallon, as they get larger, the spawn gets culled and split into two 10 gallon tanks, then progress to 20s, 40s then 55.

What are you feeding the growouts and how frequently? Water changes are really important at the grow out stage (well, kind of always right, but really, really important at growout stage). I tend to overfeed them to keep them fat, but then the trade off is water quality.

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
I feed cobalt flake food, a mix of frozen foods brine, mysis shrimp. I try to do their water changes as frequently as I do the water changes on my discus tanks so usually twice a week. I actually got some ebs that seam to have much more of an appetite. I'm pretty excited about these guys. I have Platinums and some blues in their tank, I have a feeling some of the Platinums are stunted. I also have a 3 inch blue in with them but he doesn't have a good shape and pretty much hides in his corner.20180222_212350.jpg

Reactions: Johnathan Bosman

foristcr

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Spring Lake Michigan
That's why I'm excited about the two new ones. The both look like that, nothing weird with their eyes. They are also pigs and are running the tank after only being introduced to the grow out tank about a week ago.

Reactions: Jexnell
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store