EBJDFiremouth to be eaten by Channel Cat?

steelshade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2009
Little Rock, Ar
So I finally got a very small channel catfish for my 240gal. There are already two Oscars, an Electric Blue Jack Dempsey, and a Firemouth Cichlid in there.
My question is - are the firemouth and EBJD doomed to be eventually eaten by the catfish or do they stand a decent chance. Do I have to move them to another tank?:(

jr monster fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2007
Fox island wa
Dude, channels get to like 4'+ with a mouth 1'+ wide. The cichlids get to about 1'. do the math.

tscharf

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2009
Bowie MD
there doomed

jerzyperson

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2008
Indiana
the biggest channel cat recorded was 58lbs i think and only 4' long. i think if i had a fish lurking in the depths with that bulk everything would be doomed... EVEN YOU!!!!:nilly:

steelshade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2009
Little Rock, Ar
It takes decades for a channel cat to reach 4'. Apparently the first 2 responses were from people who don't understand the difference between a channel cat and a blue channel cat. Blue channel cats grow much faster and get much much larger than regular channels. Sadly most fish shops that sell these cats normally mislabel them as they aren't aware of how to distinguish the two species. I guess I should rephrase the question.

How long would it take for a channel cat to get large enough to eat a 6" firemouth cichlid?(not blue channel cat) The cat is 3" now.

steelshade

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2009
Little Rock, Ar
jerzyperson;3914488; said:
the biggest channel cat recorded was 58lbs i think and only 4' long. i think if i had a fish lurking in the depths with that bulk everything would be doomed... EVEN YOU!!!!:nilly:
Yeah, I think I'd be pretty startled if I was diving in a lake and stumbled across a 58lb fish!:WHOA: But that would be a cool story to tell.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store