Status
Not open for further replies.

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
Eddie is right; the 94% vaccination rate is for the entire country. Mississippi, for example, has nearly a 100% compliance rate. Some California communities consisting of Caucasian, moderately well-educated and notably wealthy residents are seeing only 40-60% coverage -- and it's not from illegals. California Department of Health has reported that 'personal belief exemptions' for children in public schools (K-7) have increased three fold from the late 90's to 2008: http://www.cdph.ca.gov/programs/immunize/Documents/ChildhoodImmunizationCoverageCA2006-08.pdf (I found this by searching for "caucasian measles vaccination rate California")

Further on in the search results, I also found this article http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/31/us/vaccine-critics-turn-defensive-over-measles.html?_r=0 which states:

Then there is a particular subculture of largely wealthy and well-educated families, many living in palmy enclaves around Los Angeles and San Francisco, who are trying to carve out “all-natural” lives for their children.

“Sometimes, I feel like we’re practicing in the 1950s,” said Dr. Eric Ball, a pediatrician in southern Orange County, where some schools report that 50 to 60 percent of their kindergartners are not fully vaccinated and that 20 to 40 percent of parents have sought a personal beliefs exemption to vaccination requirements.

In 2013, Half of the imported cases in the US were from Europe. The index case for the Texas megachurch outbreak that began in 2013 was from a resident that had travelled to Indonesia. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6236a2.htm (I found this by searching for "United States imported measles" in Google).

In 2014, most of those importations are coming from the Phillipines, Pakistan, Indonesia, Azerbaijan, Qatar, India, and Dubai. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/03/measles-us-facts_n_6581922.html (this also came up later in the search results for "United States imported measles").

heatherbeast

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2009
Atlanta, GA
heatherbeast.deviantart.com
Well, my particular lab branch stays pretty busy with responding to illness caused by people getting healthcare and going to hospitals, so we don't have much time to do much more than groan and roll our eyes at the break table during lunch time. It may wind up being a moot point, though. A California state senator, who is also a pediatrician, has introduced legislation that will end the personal belief exemption for California: http://www.latimes.com/local/politics/la-me-pol-measles-vaccination-20150205-story.html

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
Don't get pet spoiler started again. it appears she believes that a bunch of immigrants and possible vaccinated adults are the cause and majority of the reported illness and news reporters, journalists and now you guys here are spreading mass hysteria to get legislations going to take away personal rights. Or did I misinterpret?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Does requiring insurance and driver license take away your freedom?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Hello; This is a variation on the "have you stopped beating your wife?" type question. A simple yes or no is not enough. While a license to legally drive is to a degree a reduction of absolute freedom, it has become an accepted "norm" with an implied benefit to the general population. That benefit is supposed to be that the state tests an individual's competency to operate a motor vehicle safely and with a proven understanding of the traffic laws. Having seen some of my former students acquire a driver’s license and daily observations of other drivers brings that implied benefit into question.

Not all states in the USA have required insurance in the past. I am not sure if there are any states that do not require it currently. I suppose that someone who causes damage with an automobile can be taken to court if they do not have insurance. The obvious issue with that is they are likely to not have the money to pay for the damages. That is why I carry uninsured motorist coverage.

The real distinction about a driver’s license or insurance is that we choose to drive on a voluntary basis. We are not required to own a motor vehicle or to drive one. That is a fundamental choice we get to make. Once we decide to drive, then we are forced to comply with various regulations and rules by rule of law. I have known a few people who never drove or owned a vehicle.

That some people wish to have a choice about a medical procedure, in this case vaccination, is understandable. I tend to be on the side of each of us having a choice. I want to be free to choose any particular type of medical procedure that may come along. I have not had a flu shot since I quit teaching in public schools. A flu shot seemed worth the risk when I was liable to be exposed by contact with hundreds of people each day.

Let us not forget that any medical procedure carries the risk of side effects. Vaccines have a list of possible things that can go wrong. The odds are likely that serious issues will be rare but not absent.

I stated a few posts back that my mother had me take every vaccine that came along when I was a child. I was lucky and had only very sore arms or a couple of days of feeling poorly.

I still cling to the notion that I get to pick for myself what I allow the medical people to do to or for me. If I wish to refuse medical treatment that is my personal right. Neither I nor you should be forced to have medical treatment against our will. That is the issue to me.

Seat belts are a more to the point issue as are motor cycle helmet laws. I retrofitted belts into the family car, a 1955 Pontiac Star Chief, back in 1964 after surviving a crash in a 1964 Galaxy 500 with factory belts. I did this on my own and only had to answer to my father about it. I would have and wear seat belts even if there were not laws about it.

Air bags are a different issue. The notion of having an explosive device within 12 inches of my face and body seems questionable. I now have a Nissan which likely has one of the suspect air bags installed. I would not have air bags by personal choice if the law allowed me to delete them as an option. I also do not like being forced to have tire pressure monitors, back up cameras, automatic headlights, chips that gather data and a few other things. As options that can be purchased or deleted these things are fine.

I guess my point is made?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store