Eco Complete with Carbonate (Aragonite) Topper

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I was planning on doing a 2" eco complete substrate with about 1/2 to 1" of crushed coral/aragonite on top to lighten it up a bit. I know the two would get mixed eventually but I thought the salt and pepper look would be OK. I just took delivery of the bags of eco complete though and the instructions say "Do not top with carbonate gravels such as marble chips, aragonite, coral, etc." Why is this? At first I thought maybe the eco-complete was designed to buffer PH but all my searching has shown that if anything it tends to raise PH and KH, at least initially. Then I thought maybe the carbonate substrate would be bad for most plants or something (I'll admit quite a bit of ignorance when it comes to plant husbandry). Does anyone have insight on this? I'd really rather not ruin 200+ pounds of expensive substrate with a "try and see".

Tank will be a newly set up 185 gal tall plywood job I built a number of years ago and recently refinished. Looking to fill it with small community fish like clown loaches, zebra danios, some small tetras, etc. Maybe a big fat pleco and a couple tinfoil barbs or something.

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I'm not sure why, but if the substrate says not to, I wouldn't. Try white sand instead.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I'm not sure why, but if the substrate says not to, I wouldn't. Try white sand instead.
LOL because we here at MFK ALWAYS do what the label says, right? :p. I just would like to understand before I try to return all this coral.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
not sure why you wouldn't mix the 2.. I think your theory is pretty sound on it though... I can say I've mixed it with regular aquarium gravel to give it some more "bulk" and it worked like a charm. I went with a slightly larger then sand sized gravel so more a "course sand" and it kept the eco settled instead of "muddy" at the bottom once it settled, and my roots more stabalization. most plants like softer acidic water... but I've had plenty in harder water that did fine as well.

CC/aragonite will buffer your gh/kh and in effect make it really easy to raise your PH... maybe how they suggest not using it if the eco will raise your PH... w/ the cc buffering it theoretically you could easily clear 8+and have a heck of a time trying to keep it low enough to keep fish happy. IF that's the case I would stay the heck away from it lol.

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
Thanks for the feedback. I actually found out that I can return my unopened bags of coral to petco locally (ordered online) for a refund. Their neutral gravel (similarly colored to aragonite) is actually cheaper, so, there's no reason not to swap it out. I will admit that I'm still curious about why no carbonate is recommended but it's basically moot now!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store