Eel or knife?

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
I've kept both and I would definitely recommend the knife fish. Mine is very friendly and even swims up to the top for food. I rarely saw my peacock eel and he disappeared after a few months.
Thanks. Hmmm, sounds like the knife would be more promising.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

devder1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2008
arizona
Get a brown knife! Loved mine, would let me hand feed him and everything! Also had a peacock eel disappear

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
Bump.
Does anybody have pictures or video of a rather big one? Say, close to the supposed12" full size.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I've kept both and a pointer if you wanna see the eel a lot is to have the tank heavily decorated with a lot of hiding spots. I had 2 in a 55g with driftwood, sand and a lot of fake and real plants and the eels were always out. They also would eat from my hand and they were out so much that I never saw them actually bury.

I have a small african brown knife right now and they grow EXTREMELY slow! I've had it about 6 months now and, at most, it grew an inch. I enjoyed the peacocks more than the knife.

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
I've kept both and a pointer if you wanna see the eel a lot is to have the tank heavily decorated with a lot of hiding spots. I had 2 in a 55g with driftwood, sand and a lot of fake and real plants and the eels were always out. They also would eat from my hand and they were out so much that I never saw them actually bury.

I have a small african brown knife right now and they grow EXTREMELY slow! I've had it about 6 months now and, at most, it grew an inch. I enjoyed the peacocks more than the knife.
Thanks. Im still undecided on which to get. The peacocks for beauty. Or the knife for motion.

koi9

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2011
california
If by "african brown knife" you mean Xenomystus nigri then they don't get anywhere close to 12". Typically max out around 4-5".
Papyrocranus afer is an african knife that gets big but they are not commonly available and are quite aggressive.
Dude, im sure they get well over 5".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store