Efficient monster filtration Design Discussion

justin guest

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Australia
If you increase the area of your filter, you decrease the velocity. Particles more dense than water (fish turds) that you want to filter out will never even come close to the mechanical media as there is no force to drive it there.
Sorry to contradict you on this one. It depends on the design of your filter. My experience is that lower velocity = better water polishing. More important is porousity of the mech filter stage in relation to water flow. If you press water through 50 micron holes for instance, then any fine particles sitting on the edge of a 50 micron hole are more likely to stay there if water velocity is reduced. This causes a reduction of the hole diameter which then further leads to an even finer filtration = polishing. And if the fish wastes aren´t getting to the mech stage to start with then you have a badly designed filter regardless of head losses.

As for this thread being defined through an ´undergrad with no practical experience regurgitating his lecture notes´ I personally found it challenged me to think about how I design filters. I wonder how many fish keepers without degrees are also learning something from cvermeulen´s stipulations but just not posting here? Just to put things in perspective I joined this forum because I like how knowledge is being transfered in all directions. Being right is just a matter of perspective.
j<><

blue_pill85

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2006
peoria il
spiff;2125203; said:
I would just mention then the seemingly growing-less popular UG filter. It accomplishes all of that with out compromising interior space. (presuming you're planning on using a substrate) And usually a plain 'ol bubbler does the job. But on I have never seen an UG on a monster sized tank. It would have to be rig job. Definetely a good idea though. I have always been a fan of the UG.
I love it so much in fact when i get of my buttocks and begin my 8x4 ug it will be.... dont expect pics too soon though to go along with lazy Im flat broke!:WHOA:

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
Just checking back in with this thread... anyone have any other ideas? I'm wanting to build a more efficient filter, and hope to use some ideas from here on it. :)

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
I haven't built any new tanks since we opened this discussion.... but the ideas are all being catalogued ;) Next summer I'll probably move all my fish into a rubbermaid pond and upgrade my tank situation.... If I'm still living in the same place anyways.

krisRTC

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2008
gloucestershire UK
why not try and make a large weir that will run along the back of your tank like a marine red sea max (lookup on google) in the first weir/sump you could have egg crate or whatever u call it in the US getting smaller in size gaps to trap large to small food items and then the next slot could be your mechanical, and then biomedia and at the end have the heater or basically make as many weir pits as you want if you want to include the likes of carbon or any medication bags ETC. (PS DONT KNOW IF ITS A WEIR BUT IS DOES AN UP AND OVER EFFECT AND IS RUN BY WATER PRESSURW AND GRAVITY BASICALLY AND A PUMP AT ONE END AND SO THE BIOMEDIA WILL NEVER GO DRY IN POWERCUTS)
will this work as will be using it in my ply tank???
comments and suggestions/criticism welcome
thanks

cvermeulen

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Los Osos, CA
krisRTC;2483354; said:
why not try and make a large weir that will run along the back of your tank like a marine red sea max (lookup on google) in the first weir/sump you could have egg crate or whatever u call it in the US getting smaller in size gaps to trap large to small food items and then the next slot could be your mechanical, and then biomedia and at the end have the heater or basically make as many weir pits as you want if you want to include the likes of carbon or any medication bags ETC. (PS DONT KNOW IF ITS A WEIR BUT IS DOES AN UP AND OVER EFFECT AND IS RUN BY WATER PRESSURW AND GRAVITY BASICALLY AND A PUMP AT ONE END AND SO THE BIOMEDIA WILL NEVER GO DRY IN POWERCUTS)
will this work as will be using it in my ply tank???
comments and suggestions/criticism welcome
thanks
What you're describing is very similar to what I was talking about. Basically having your filtration happen at the same height as the water column in your tank so you save yourself the head losses.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store