Eheim Media, 2262 x 2.

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
I have a 175g bow front with a 2262 and 2250 that I've been running together for the past 3 yrs. The 2262 averages 8 to 12 months between cleaning with the 2250 3-4 months only. Suffice to say I'm always a little over stocked but keep on top of nitates with two 50% water changes weekly including a gravel vac. This leaves me with consistent 0ppm readings for ammonia and nitrites and I never let my nitrates get past 20ppm.

The 2262 filter media consists of (+/-) 4L effimech and 14L effisubtrate pro II with a half " effifix between them and a half" effifix on top. The 2250 has the same with a smaller %.

Although it's around 20 years old and still running like new I'm tired of cleaning the 2250, plan to replace it with a second 2262 with a goal of having to clean each once a year only. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of packing more effimech, 7-8L and 8-10L effisubtarte pro II in each along with the same half" of effifix set up as before.

Currently I'm keeping a 4" Oscar, 11 spotted silver dollars, 3-4", and 3 7-8". royal plecos (L190). I plan to keep this stock as long as possible (could loose a few SDs) and am wondering if any Eheim fans have any better media suggestions to share ?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
I have a 175g bow front with a 2262 and 2250 that I've been running together for the past 3 yrs. The 2262 averages 8 to 12 months between cleaning with the 2250 3-4 months only. Suffice to say I'm always a little over stocked but keep on top of nitates with two 50% water changes weekly including a gravel vac. This leaves me with consistent 0ppm readings for ammonia and nitrites and I never let my nitrates get past 20ppm.

The 2262 filter media consists of (+/-) 4L effimech and 14L effisubtrate pro II with a half " effifix between them and a half" effifix on top. The 2250 has the same with a smaller %.

Although it's around 20 years old and still running like new I'm tired of cleaning the 2250, plan to replace it with a second 2262 with a goal of having to clean each once a year only. Off the top of my head I'm thinking of packing more effimech, 7-8L and 8-10L effisubtarte pro II in each along with the same half" of effifix set up as before.

Currently I'm keeping a 4" Oscar, 11 spotted silver dollars, 3-4", and 3 7-8". royal plecos (L190). I plan to keep this stock as long as possible (could loose a few SDs) and am wondering if any Eheim fans have any better media suggestions to share ?
nope substrat pro is my favorite, I like the one that looks like cinnamon toast crunch as well lol

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I think if you've been happy with your filter media set up so far, I'd just stick with what has worked for you.

I run a similar set up in mine though I have added 20 PPI Poret foam to a couple of the filters since I didn't have enough media to fill them. Only 1 of mine has substrat Pro, the others are using Seachem Pond Matrix; all 3 filters have 5L of Ehfi Mech in the bottom.

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I have the same setup, but I hate substrate pro.

I run 4l Eheim Mech pro, 11l marine pure 1.5 inch spheres, AND some fine filter pads cut to size, and 500ml Purigen.

I dint ever need to clean my canister as i add Rid-X septic tank enzymes to the tank every 4 weeks, I also add weekly dose of cichlid salts to keep the skin osmosis good.

I constantly have zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrate.

Marine pure, once it's been running for 2-3 months denitrifies.

I use seneye reef to constantly monitor and do weekly tests with an api master kit.

Never bother water changing, tank never smells, only top up with a few litres of water every week because of evaporation.

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
nope substrat pro is my favorite, I like the one that looks like cinnamon toast crunch as well lol
The subtrat pro II is the one that looks like "cinnamon toast crunch" I love this product but checked Big Al's on line and it's no longer listed. o_O
All they show is the regular quartz subtract pro, going to have to inquire as to what happen next time I'm there.

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
I think if you've been happy with your filter media set up so far, I'd just stick with what has worked for you.

I run a similar set up in mine though I have added 20 PPI Poret foam to a couple of the filters since I didn't have enough media to fill them. Only 1 of mine has substrat Pro, the others are using Seachem Pond Matrix; all 3 filters have 5L of Ehfi Mech in the bottom.
I think you're right, I'll just stick to my plan of making up for the added space with more effimec, thanks.

impala

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Toronto Canada
I have the same setup, but I hate substrate pro.

I run 4l Eheim Mech pro, 11l marine pure 1.5 inch spheres, AND some fine filter pads cut to size, and 500ml Purigen.

I dint ever need to clean my canister as i add Rid-X septic tank enzymes to the tank every 4 weeks, I also add weekly dose of cichlid salts to keep the skin osmosis good.

I constantly have zero ammonia, zero nitrite and zero nitrate.

Marine pure, once it's been running for 2-3 months denitrifies.

I use seneye reef to constantly monitor and do weekly tests with an api master kit.

Never bother water changing, tank never smells, only top up with a few litres of water every week because of evaporation.
I'm surprised with your 0 nitrate reading, my water comes out of the tap reading 5.0ppm nitrate. Going to have to do some proper research, you've given me a lot to digest, just what I was looking for although no water changes or filter cleaning sound too good to be true (not doubting you).

I know you stated that you're running the same set up, do you mean two 2262 or 1 and is your tank a 175 bow front or other ?

Thanks for the homework.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
The subtrat pro II is the one that looks like "cinnamon toast crunch" I love this product but checked Big Al's on line and it's no longer listed. o_O
All they show is the regular quartz subtract pro, going to have to inquire as to what happen next time I'm there.
I believe substrat pro is the spherical ones that look like corn pops

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
I'm surprised with your 0 nitrate reading, my water comes out of the tap reading 5.0ppm nitrate. Going to have to do some proper research, you've given me a lot to digest, just what I was looking for although no water changes or filter cleaning sound too good to be true (not doubting you).

I know you stated that you're running the same set up, do you mean two 2262 or 1 and is your tank a 175 bow front or other ?

Thanks for the homework.
I'm more than happy to take a liquid test on video, I have not water changed now for 2-3 months...all my readings are zero.

My tank is rectangular, and I'm running exactly what your running in your opening post. 6x2x2, with 2 Eheim 2262 loaded as I said.

If you have Facebook I have loads of videos added of my filter system!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Interesting thread... how are you getting away with mo wc's and 0 nitrates onoot of no fulter maintenance?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store