Eheim Pro Series: not worth it?

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
I was almost considering adding this onto the end of the FX5 Alternatives thread, but I think it's a separate question.

Are the Eheim pro "electronic" filters just not worth the money? They strike me as being fairly gimicky (I don't think I really *need* a filter with a user interface) and having overall sort of worse stats (flow rate) than the FX5 or 2262, which are both cheaper. There's a little bit of convenience involved and they look very big for bio matter storage (although I don't have a way to compare their size to the other options) and they seem like they'd go for a while without needing a cleaning beyond the top mini-chamber thing.

The other vague advantage for impatient me is that they have them at my LFS so I could have one running in like 2 hours, and I'd be supporting the store.

buuuuuuuut if it's just blatantly the wrong choice to make I'll wait for shipping!

Please chime in, I'm about to head to the store so any quick responses would be immediately helpful. Thanks all!

CarvinSigX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Illinois
If you don't want all the extras, just get one of the normal Eheim Pro3's. I'm running 2 on my 125g. They are built very well and are setup for easy cleaning and maintenance.

Sent from my Desire HD using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

The Pro Series (including 2080 Pro3) is not worth the money, nor the Eheim name. It's a disgrace to all canisters. I run a 2080 on a 70 gal, that's all it can do. Wouldn't buy it again.

HarleyK

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
Howdy,

The Pro Series (including 2080 Pro3) is not worth the money, nor the Eheim name. It's a disgrace to all canisters. I run a 2080 on a 70 gal, that's all it can do. Wouldn't buy it again.

HarleyK

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
I have a 2075 that does a decent job. It doesn't do any better of a job than a Rena XP3 though. The extra price for the Eheim name definitely wasn't worth it. But I am not impressed with canister filters in general and find wet/dry sumps to be much better filters.

Eheim had a filter with a built in heater at one point in time. I couldn't count the number of complaints I found regarding those heated filters when I was researching canisters. That lead me to the conclusion that the more you try to add to a basic canister filter the more problematic it is going to be!

Now... if it told me my Nitrate levels that might be worth paying for.

My Eheim 2075 is the only canister filter I still use... but that is mainly due to having way too much money in it to shelve it.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I got a 2228 I believe, Had it for 3 days sold it went back to classics, I could not figure out why I paid extra for it, it did nothing better then the classics even made a little bit of a louder hum. I too like wet/dry sumps much more and have started turning my canisters into reactors, but I still love the classics and the fx5s 2217 for bio fx5 for mech and chemical and depending on the stock I might fill the bot tray with matrix.

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Yup, the 2080 is louder than my 2262, with less flow :thumbdown:

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
Good choice!

I got a 2080 and the flow is underwhelming.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store