Electric Eel best practices

FishBoss825

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2015
New York
Hello, new to the forum, I have been working with fish for a couple years and I've gotten pretty hooked (no pun intended) due to living arrangements I have rarely actually owned fish, however I've had to maintain an array of tank systems with everything from coral frag tanks, to full aggressive saltwater, all types of freshwater, right down to simple betas. Well the other day came across an offer I couldn't refuse, a baby electric eel about 3.5 inches long at a local LFS, I have done some reading on them before and have read plenty on here in the past so I knew about the potential size and hazards and i'm prepared to deal with all of that, especially because I plan on keeping a small collection of fish so I can spend more time and effort on the few I have. For the time being hes in a 10 gallon so I can keep track of him and make sure hes eating well, with the poor eye site and his size I wanted to make hunting as easy as possible, and he will be upgraded as soon as im confident with his size and feeding response. So here are my questions :

Is there any way of determining gender? I've read that males grow larger and can become territorial.

What are the absolute best live feeders? I've seen the charts with all the contents of the fish and such, well what I want to know is what does everyone here prefer? Anyone out there having success with frozen foods?

Maintaining the tank, for things like water changes is it better to just remove the eel to a holding tank to avoid any possible shocks? If need be whats the safest way to move him around? Anyone on here know of a place that has full plastic nets and forceps? lol

if there are any long term eel owners that have tips and tricks id love to hear them. Thanks everyone I should have pics up fairly soon!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Years ago I had a friend who had a baby electric eel and he would drop a small feeder gold fish in the tank, when the eel was hungry it shocked , electrified its meal before eating. As for best practices treat knife fish with upmost respect, purchase arm lengthed rubber gloves used by electrian's for handling with or without net. Keeping a fully grown electric eel could possibly become a life or death situation if you don't stay focused IMO. Please be careful!!!

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
Am I the only one on MFK that can not get an electric eel?

mkh1337

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2015
New York
lol I think there is just a few members who are actually interested in keeping one.:)
They're fascinating animals and while I can understand why they aren't for everyone (or anywhere close to everyone), I'm surprised by the lack of information that's readily available about them. I feel like there are 4-5 people seriously keeping them through adulthood while they're just a passing novelty for most. Later today (its 3:30am here) I'm going to contact a few professional electricians I know just to get a better understanding of electricity in general and how those of us that are serious about this can go about keeping our fish in a manner that's reliably safe.

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
I have been working with electronics for 25 years. I have a Jacobs ladder. I used to experiment with a 15kv neon sign transformer. A little fish does not scare me LOL. I really want to get an electric eel and my LFS is supposed to be trying to get me one. I just realized that they where available to get. If I can get my hands on and electric eel I have several things that I want to try.

FishBoss825

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2015
New York
I guess im a sucker for the potential danger, however I try to be as careful as possible. I mean I also work with reptiles pretty often and have worked with venomous snakes as part of that so when it comes to being careful i tend to be pretty focused haha.

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
Am I the only one on MFK that can not get an electric eel?
Jeff Raps can get them.

He got me one and i ordered another yesterday. (around 100 dollars for a 10-18 inch one)

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA

JonY3k

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Ohio Wooster
I saw Jeff Raps had some the other day. Thinking abut ordering on if he still has them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store