Emergancy!! Fish Kill?

Fishfood?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Virginia
1. Did you wash the sand before putting in tank?
-if yes, did the water smell like something you describe?
-if no, disregard.

Fishfood?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Virginia
Reason for the question is that if it smelt like brake pads on a car. You have asbestos in the sand. This comes from the crusher of rock/sand quarries.

26pets

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
Somewhere
It didnt smell. I came out clear

Fishfood?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Virginia
try a water change and 3 feeder goldfish.. test sample 2...

26pets

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
Somewhere
Wouldnt feeder fish die because of the salt?

26pets

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
Somewhere
Oddball;2438668; said:
The difference between plain sand and play sand is that play sand has less sharp edges to make it safer. Whoever told you that one contains no silica must have a vasectomy immediately to prevent more morons from being added to the population.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/sand.php
Lots of sites say its ok.....:nilly:

26pets

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
Somewhere
This is from a different forum
woofy;2428813; said:
i have white play sand for my africans, i really like it, ive have filter problems though if the sand gets moved around. i find white sand brings out mbuna colors well.

Fishfood?

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 29, 2008
Virginia
I hear what your saying, just last week I thought of the very same idea. Switching from gravel to local hardware store play sand. I think doing a 100% water change, chloramine the water. some feeder gold fish let them work on cycling your tank, ditch the test strips, get a real kit, watch your levels and youll be ok.
Im far from an expert but Ive raised enough fish and Ive used play sand, on converting sailfin mollies to salt. I put salt in my Oranda tanks also, so keep bumping this thread and youll get a wide variety of info to help ya..

26pets

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
Somewhere
Okey Dokey I might just go with pure ammonia for the tank.

26pets

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2008
Somewhere
Could it also be to the factor it was a reptile tank for its life. Its never had any fish in it before. I know my friend had it 5 years. But She said it was still a reptile tank before that to.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store