Enemy #1: Humidity. ...help?

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
Hey MFK. I'm going to get right to it.

65 degree, 2500 square foot unfinished basement with Illinois winter temps.

300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank (partially covered and only filled half way) because the turtles need a basking spot.

Window sills are collecting crazy water. Cant get the humidity down there, or in the whole house, below 48-50%. Stock tank walls grow mold and found some very small spots on the ceiling.

Pond water is 78 degrees.

Is it time to throw in the towel? I really, really dont want to sell my fish or the turtles. Any suggestions? I feel very defeated.

Thanks

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Are you running dehumidifiers? You probably need several of them.

We have the opposite problem - 50% + is good for us. We heat our house with two wood stoves and have to run three humidifiers in the music room to keep the humidity at 50%. (Fine wood instruments need the humidity)

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
agreed with pacu mom in my basement 1250sq ft of space i keep 2 hygrometers.. in the winter time my base board hot water heaters create dry heat and my humidity hoovers around 30 - 40% but if it rains the following night or day would go up to 50-60%.. spring and summer times my basement gets too humid so i just run my dehumidifier and keeps that humid down..

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
Cant believe i forgot that part. Yes im running a 70 liter dehumidifier in the basement. With doing so ive never been below 48%.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
Get a good dehumidifier. Believe me it can solve your problem.

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Like others said dehumidifiers or please get a chiller for the tank. It will solve all your issues

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Hey MFK. I'm going to get right to it.

65 degree, 2500 square foot unfinished basement with Illinois winter temps.

300 gallon rubbermaid stock tank (partially covered and only filled half way) because the turtles need a basking spot.

Window sills are collecting crazy water. Cant get the humidity down there, or in the whole house, below 48-50%. Stock tank walls grow mold and found some very small spots on the ceiling.

Pond water is 78 degrees.

Is it time to throw in the towel? I really, really dont want to sell my fish or the turtles. Any suggestions? I feel very defeated.

Thanks
Also what part of Chicago are you from? I'm from the suburbs downers grove area

Steveo McNello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2010
SW Burbs of Chicago
So whos got an idea for a "good dehumidifier?"

I dont think i need a chiller. If i turn the heaters off the water will be 65.

Im from new lenox.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I try very hard to keep my humidity in the house at 60-70%. I have no problems with mold anywhere. I think you need some fans moving air around. Talk to an HVAC company about your problem and I think you will find out you want humid air in the winter because the heating system dries the air out so much. I have a fart fan hooked to a humidistat in my fish room and keep it at 60%. It almost never kicks on. I also have a large ceiling fan going 24/7.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store