erythrinus/rainbow wolffish size?

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Hey I have a rainbow wolffish about 14cm. She is already quite old i believe and doesnt seem to grow anymore.
Online it said that rainbows get to 20/25cm, which is quite a difference compared to 14cm.

Any keepers of rainbow wolfish that can tell me the size of their rainbow?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Mine is only about 4 inches at the moment, but everything I’ve seen says 8-10 inches. Past 6 inches or so the growth tends to slow down for a lot of characins.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I got mine in July, was about 2 inches at the time. If I had to guess it’s about 6 months old or so.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
People "can" grow to 7 feet tall, in exceptional cases...and many, many folks are 6-feet-plus...but there are still plenty of people in the 5-foot range. Should we be described as capable of reaching 7 feet...or 6 feet...or 5 feet? The difference between 5 and 7 feet is huge, an increase of 40%! I wonder how an alien race doing a bio-survey of Earth would describe the size of Homo sapiens? Best answer: variable, usually between 5 and 6.5 feet in height.

Fish are trickier, simply because they don't abruptly stop growing at a certain age; they tend to just slow down but continue growing for a considerable period after maturity. Sexual dimorphism can play a part (as with people), genetics and location of origin (as with people), early and on-going nutrition (as with people)...the list goes on and on. Water conditions...do you change the water a couple times per week, or a couple times per season? It will make a difference.

If your fish is old, it's obviously received at least adequate care. It may still continue growing, perhaps imperceptibly slowly; but, really, what difference does it make? If it's gender and genetics call for it to reach this size, that's that. If it didn't eat as well as it might have when very young, or didn't get the water changes it might have, or whatever...well, that ship has sailed. It can still be completely healthy now and live out its life; no cause for concern.

For the record, I read the same numbers mentioned by Deadeye Deadeye , i.e. 8-10 inches. My Red Wolf arrived in March at under 3 inches and really skinny; it's now about 6 inches and really...not skinny. Even if it slows down further from its current slow rate of growth I will be very surprised if it doesn't exceed 8 inches by the one-year mark.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
People "can" grow to 7 feet tall, in exceptional cases...and many, many folks are 6-feet-plus...but there are still plenty of people in the 5-foot range. Should we be described as capable of reaching 7 feet...or 6 feet...or 5 feet? The difference between 5 and 7 feet is huge, an increase of 40%! I wonder how an alien race doing a bio-survey of Earth would describe the size of Homo sapiens? Best answer: variable, usually between 5 and 6.5 feet in height.

Fish are trickier, simply because they don't abruptly stop growing at a certain age; they tend to just slow down but continue growing for a considerable period after maturity. Sexual dimorphism can play a part (as with people), genetics and location of origin (as with people), early and on-going nutrition (as with people)...the list goes on and on. Water conditions...do you change the water a couple times per week, or a couple times per season? It will make a difference.

If your fish is old, it's obviously received at least adequate care. It may still continue growing, perhaps imperceptibly slowly; but, really, what difference does it make? If it's gender and genetics call for it to reach this size, that's that. If it didn't eat as well as it might have when very young, or didn't get the water changes it might have, or whatever...well, that ship has sailed. It can still be completely healthy now and live out its life; no cause for concern.

For the record, I read the same numbers mentioned by Deadeye Deadeye , i.e. 8-10 inches. My Red Wolf arrived in March at under 3 inches and really skinny; it's now about 6 inches and really...not skinny. Even if it slows down further from its current slow rate of growth I will be very surprised if it doesn't exceed 8 inches by the one-year mark.
I do it once a week 20% and every 3 weeks 30%. Is that correct?
He is alone in a fully densed planted tank with 100000 of shrimps

He used to be in a shop for a very long time (atleast 4 years according to what i heard).
I keep him in a quite small tank (80cmx60x40). I think he fits fine but if he was/is gone grow bigger i was thinking about upgreading the tank although i dont really have the space.

Reactions: Deadeye and jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Sounds like plenty of space for the fish, likely for the rest of its life. Bigger is almost always better when it comes to tank size, so if you simply want a bigger tank that's fine...but it certainly does not sound like your fish "needs" more space, even if it does grow a bit more.

In terms of your water change schedule being "correct", there is no simple answer; it depends upon your tank, your filtration, the amount you feed (in addition to the shrimp on which he probably snacks continuously), the density and species of your planting, the parameters of your tap water, etc. Ideally, you should test your water before and after a water change, to determine your nitrate accumulation. That will be a good indicator of the accumulation of other undesirable elements as well as the nitrate level per se, and it lets you determine how often and how much to change water.

You need to decide what level of nitrate accumulation you deem acceptable. There are folks who only begin to show concern at levels so high that they terrify me; other people seem to panic at the mere mention of the word "nitrate". Your fish and your shrimp (which are likely more sensitive to water quality issues than the fish) seem to be doing well, so you are likely on the right track. Do your research and make a choice with which you can live.

neko1

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
Sounds like plenty of space for the fish, likely for the rest of its life. Bigger is almost always better when it comes to tank size, so if you simply want a bigger tank that's fine...but it certainly does not sound like your fish "needs" more space, even if it does grow a bit more.

In terms of your water change schedule being "correct", there is no simple answer; it depends upon your tank, your filtration, the amount you feed (in addition to the shrimp on which he probably snacks continuously), the density and species of your planting, the parameters of your tap water, etc. Ideally, you should test your water before and after a water change, to determine your nitrate accumulation. That will be a good indicator of the accumulation of other undesirable elements as well as the nitrate level per se, and it lets you determine how often and how much to change water.

You need to decide what level of nitrate accumulation you deem acceptable. There are folks who only begin to show concern at levels so high that they terrify me; other people seem to panic at the mere mention of the word "nitrate". Your fish and your shrimp (which are likely more sensitive to water quality issues than the fish) seem to be doing well, so you are likely on the right track. Do your research and make a choice with which you can live.
yeah i do that water is perfect. The shrimps keep the tank clean with the massive amount of plants. The wolffish doesnt eat them, and i dont feed the shrimp. I think they clean up his poop and the dead plant materials.
Was just wondering if the species maybe needed less waterchanges. But if not, then i will keep continue what im doing
Nitrate is almost 0 always. I keep him at 24C.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Beautiful tank; just keep doing what you are doing, because it's obviously working! :thumbsup:

You've got me thinking now about trying shrimp in my wolf's tank, perhaps after he grows a bit more; he'd definitely eat them now, since an adult shrimp is about the size of the krill that I feed him, but smaller shrimp might just escape his notice and persist. A colony of small colourful shrimp in a densely planted tank is one of my favourite aquarium spectacles...and as you say, it's also a great natural cleaning crew.

Really, I love your aquarium! :)

Reactions: neko1 and Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store