EU signs cod death sentence

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
EU signs cod death sentence:

The European Union has agreed new fishing quotas for 2006, after three days of negotiations in Brussels.

The number of days of cod trawlers can spend at sea will be cut by 5% - instead of the 15% recommended by the European Commission.

Scientists have been calling for a blanket ban on cod fishing because of dwindling stocks, but this was fiercely opposed by North Sea fishing fleets.

An outright ban on anchovy fishing in the Bay of Biscay will be lifted.

European Union ministers have again taken less radical steps than those proposed by the Commission, which in turn was much milder than scientists called for, the BBC's Tim Hirsch reports.

And in recognition of the cuts that the UK has already made to its North Sea fisheries, the 5% cut will be capped at a maximum of five days over the whole year for British boats.

"The agreement reached will provide greater protection for the species most threatened. Overall fishing possibilities will be reduced ... also for those species for which cod is a by-catch," EU Fisheries Commissioner Joe Borg said.

BBC

:(

Roy L.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2005
Norway, Scandinavia
That's really bad news :(
They always listen more to the fishery-industry than the scientists ....
And every year the fishermen complain more that there is no fish t
o catc :screwy:

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town
Cod is a beautiful fish and an indispensale link in the foodchain. Several fish and bird species are therefore pretty much doomed too.

Also read THIS THREAD

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Not like you would have when the settlers first came here. It was said you could stick a basket in the water and pull them out, they were that plentiful.

The overfishing that has been going on is really sad, cod or otherwise. Feel people seem to notice or care about fish or overfishing. Vegitarian or not, I would never be able to eat a fish I didn't catch my self.

shekes

Jessica Rabbit
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2005
Toon Town

PeacockBass

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2005
Josh said:
I still catch plenty off the coast of Maine and Massachusetts.

thats fantastic!

thanks for sharing!

No one listens to marine biologists :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store