Ever Seen A Bare Bottom...

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Heathd;4256197; said:
The benifits of a DSB require low agitation/flow. Rubble rock in a canister is fine, but I dont think the sand is going to do much, other then get kicked around and wear out the internals.
DSB is a myth. I just rescued a 125g reef from a guy that had a "DSB" and hasnt cleaned his gravel in 7 years. Hair algae everywhere...the sand was brown...it was a huge mess. Only the soft corals were alive and the fish were looking rough, no doubt due to the massive amounts of un-disturbed detritus that had accumulated and compacted in his "DSB". I just think thats plain silly. Its not how it works in nature, and its not how it works in reef aquaria.

That being said, there are huge advantages to having a sand bed, it is a good place for bacteria, and other small beneficial critters.

If you wanted to do a FO or a FOWLR, I would suggest massive filtration, including a sump, large protein skimmer, and a lot of biological filtration in the system. Spray paint the bottom of your tank black. I would also suggest that you keep LR in your tank because that will aid in your nitrification process. The FX5 does a better job picking up particulate, but the new eheims do a better job with biological filtration, even though they are smaller. There is a thread on here somewhere about the comparison.

I say with big enough filtration, and frequent water changes, there is no reason why this shouldnt work.

BlackShark11k

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
somewhere
I think it would work fine with a large sump containing live rock and what not. Actually, I think it would look awesome and now I want to try it. :grinyes:

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
FLESHY;4256583; said:
DSB is a myth. I just rescued a 125g reef from a guy that had a "DSB" and hasnt cleaned his gravel in 7 years. Hair algae everywhere...the sand was brown...it was a huge mess. Only the soft corals were alive and the fish were looking rough, no doubt due to the massive amounts of un-disturbed detritus that had accumulated and compacted in his "DSB". I just think thats plain silly. Its not how it works in nature, and its not how it works in reef aquaria.

That being said, there are huge advantages to having a sand bed, it is a good place for bacteria, and other small beneficial critters.

If you wanted to do a FO or a FOWLR, I would suggest massive filtration, including a sump, large protein skimmer, and a lot of biological filtration in the system. Spray paint the bottom of your tank black. I would also suggest that you keep LR in your tank because that will aid in your nitrification process. The FX5 does a better job picking up particulate, but the new eheims do a better job with biological filtration, even though they are smaller. There is a thread on here somewhere about the comparison.

I say with big enough filtration, and frequent water changes, there is no reason why this shouldnt work.
That sounds more like poor husbandry then a failed DSB.

And this is the problem I have with a DSB from the get go, people are on both sides giving good thought behind why it does/doesnt work.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I have never seen it "work". Even if it did...it would be nasty. There is HUGE turnover of the sand bed in nature.

overcooked

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
LA
I run bare bottom on my SPS dominated tank to prevent sand storms. With really high flow there isn't much of an issue with detritus build ups on the bottom.

perfect_prefect

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2008
iowa
i have a bare bottom on my cb shrimp tank. its just easier to keep cleaned.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
overcooked;4266260; said:
I run bare bottom on my SPS dominated tank to prevent sand storms. With really high flow there isn't much of an issue with detritus build ups on the bottom.
+1...

D12DetroitD12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Monroe, Michigan/Toledo, Ohio
At a salt water only fish store by me they keep a lot of there fish in bare bottom tanks until people buy them. But thats only temporary of course.

Kzonon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2010
Canada
I've had a bare bottom for a couple of months. Of course with a sump for filtration and water treatment. My problem with keeping it clean. Any amount of waste at all, leftover food and fish waste shows up clearly on the bare bottom. So, I was cleaning the bottom every other day (or multiple times a day) and then found myself getting kind of lazy which is when I put in some gravel.

Kevin8888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2009
Canada
FLESHY;4256583; said:
This is a failed DSB not a normal DSB, true DSB are difficult to set up correctly, they require huge amounts of sifting, which is done by sand dwelling micro inverts like pods, worms and and micro serpent sandstars with sufficient populations they keep it well aggitated and healthy creating the best filter possible.
Agreed.
True but I personaly wouldn't reccomend it though I try to simulate a truely natural environment as best as I can.
Heathd;4256627; said:
That sounds more like poor husbandry then a failed DSB.
Exactly.
And this is the problem I have with a DSB from the get go, people are on both sides giving good thought behind why it does/doesnt work.
It's because not enough people set them up correctly so they fail
FLESHY;4256860; said:
I have never seen it "work". Even if it did...it would be nasty. There is HUGE turnover of the sand bed in nature.
Well that's where I have to agree to a point, a proper DSB can be "ugly" due to the huge amount of life in the sand the sand can look quite dirty but its the best filter/clean up crew you could ever have (when set up correctly).
I wasn't nessisarily reffering to a remote sand Deep Sand Bed though, I was reffering to a remote Sand Bed in general, which is of course a sand bed in the sump, with or without live rock rubble.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store