Ever seen a Gymnothorax javanicus?

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Does anyone know of one of these in a private collection? I think that Matt ( Zoodiver Zoodiver ) used to have one at Allfish Emporium's 5,000 gallon display, but I'm not sure. Seems like a great fish - if you have at least a 1,500 gallon or so. I haven't seen one outside of Matt's - have you?

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Never seen one. Heard of someone that keeps an even bigger moray though (strophiodon satete)
The great thing about morays is that you don't need a very large tank respective to how huge they can get.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
Never seen one. Heard of someone that keeps an even bigger moray though (strophiodon satete)
The great thing about morays is that you don't need a very large tank respective to how huge they can get.
Wow, happen to have any pics of that beast? How big is he currently? They are actually smaller in terms of body mass, but are the longest of the eels - reaching 13 feet long. The giant moray isn't the biggest of the eels though, a european conger can weigh about 240 pounds - talk about a true monster.

Very true about eels, that's why in my book they rank just a bit above sharks for my favorite saltwater fish in the hobby. I think the general rule is that the tank should be as long as the eel in total and half as wide (at least). A giant moray would probably do fine in a 900 gallon, problem is that these bigger fish can't really be kept with much else.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Sadly the guy never uploaded a pic of the strophidons - He only mentioned them to me while talking about his other eels, but apparently they are even more secretive than most species so hard to photograph. His first one died at about 4' after going on hunger strike, the ones he had when I asked him were about 2'. Sadly, he isn't around on the internet anymore afaik.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
First, Gymnothorax javanicus (Giant MorayEels) is not commonly in trade market and it coloration not very impress for a display tank.
Second, it's hard to convince someone to have a thousand gallons tank just a single eel because it will eat all tank mates when it's large enough, it also will eat other eels species if smaller than itself.
Note:
I don't have Gymnothorax Javanicus but I do have Gymnothorax Favagineus and their behave pretty much the same. My Tesselata is a killer, it's killed/ate Gymnothorax fimbriatus (yellowhead moray), Gymnothorax moringa (brown spotted Moray) along with some large Angle fishes. You might see them live peacefully for sometime (months) then tank mates started disappear once its reached certain size or bigger than other tank mates.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
First, Gymnothorax javanicus (Giant MorayEels) is not commonly in trade market and it coloration not very impress for a display tank.
Second, it's hard to convince someone to have a thousand gallons tank just a single eel because it will eat all tank mates when it's large enough, it also will eat other eels species if smaller than itself.
Note:
I don't have Gymnothorax Javanicus but I do have Gymnothorax Favagineus and their behave pretty much the same. My Tesselata is a killer, it's killed/ate Gymnothorax fimbriatus (yellowhead moray), Gymnothorax moringa (brown spotted Moray) along with some large Angle fishes. You might see them live peacefully for sometime (months) then tank mates started disappear once its reached certain size or bigger than other tank mates.
To each his own, you wouldn't have to do much to convince me to set up something to keep one of those. Look up Blacktip's 1700 gallon plywood shark tank, that would probably do pretty well to keep one for life - maybe even throw a green in there. To each his own about colors, Zoodiver had one in a 5,000 gallon column one time and that thing looked pretty sweet to me.

LadAShark

Exodon
MFK Member
May 25, 2016
To each his own, you wouldn't have to do much to convince me to set up something to keep one of those. Look up Blacktip's 1700 gallon plywood shark tank, that would probably do pretty well to keep one for life - maybe even throw a green in there. To each his own about colors, Zoodiver had one in a 5,000 gallon column one time and that thing looked pretty sweet to me.
I mean, I love morays as well, but I'd rather be able to keep multiples or heck, other fish.

Technically, fish bigger than the moray aren't safe either, as morays are entirely willing to tear off a part of the fish's body instead of outright swallowing it.

Oompa Loompa

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2016
I mean, I love morays as well, but I'd rather be able to keep multiples or heck, other fish.

Technically, fish bigger than the moray aren't safe either, as morays are entirely willing to tear off a part of the fish's body instead of outright swallowing it.
Yeah, with the bigger morays you're pretty much restricted to the biggest of the big - larger rays (southern stingrays, roughtail stingrays, spotted eagle rays, mantas, etc), big groupers (queensland, goliath, etc), and bigger sharks (bull, scalloped/great hammerheads, tigers, etc). Not much you can keep without any risk of losing it. Then again... a dimly lit tank with a giant moray in it during feeding time would be pretty awesome.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
A moray with a huge school of damsel species look awesome too hehehe.
I love to watch my cleaning shrimp busy cleaning the moray and damsels at their cleaning station. My moray do enjoy a small snack damsel from time to time when that damsel run direct into it nose/mouth or badly injured from fighting with each other. Oddly, my rock beauty angel still live happily with my moray when all other bigger tank mates already become moray food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store