Excited about my first hatching of trout eggs!

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
First of all, I do raise fish part-time for a living but haven't hatched trout eggs at my facility yet. Will do so in October though! Did some trout hatching way back in college where we had our own trout hatchery, but that was a long time ago. (Before many of you were probably born!).

Anyway, I grow out brook and brown trout to trophy size along with bluegill, yellow perch, and hopefully for the first time this year Black Crappie. (I got a hatch in the pond but no guarantees they will feed train when brought inside to a tank). Other than trout, breeding consists of placing the brood fish in ponds and letting them do their thing . Then seining out the offspring that are brought inside in recirculating tanks for the winter, to feed train and add a few inches to of which growth would be nil outside in the winter. I sell most the fish when they reach a minimum trophy size in the outdoor ponds to fellow fish taxidermists and replica makers all over the U.S.

Back to the trout hatching: Previously I've been purchasing 6 to 8 inch brooks and browns from a supplier in Michigan and growing them out in a well water supplies flow through earthen pond for a couple more years. Growth is extremely rapid with 4 to 6 pound brook trout at 3 years of age, and browns in the 5 to 7 pound range at the same age. However I loath hauling fish, although I have the equipment to do so, and haven't been able to get the supplier to produce tiger trout (brook X brown trout) which some of my customers have been requesting for years. Found a source in that will Fed Ex me Brook, Brown, Tiger, and Rainbow trout eggs and here I am. (It's been approved by my DNR). Should get them in October. I won't be producing rainbows though as they are too easy to come by for my taxidermy customers.

Building a tank soon with some food grade 1/2 inch plastic left over from a previous project. Need to invest in an iron filter for the basement but have needed one for some time. It will be a lot easier than my DIY iron filter that is effective but not suited for flow through. Will be using both the filtered well water at a low flow rate to keep temps down along with a Fluvial 305 for the small tank. Eggs will be suspended in the tank via a basket. and already in the eyed stage. I will be only hatching a few hundred and selling the rest (Minimum order is 1000 each species.)

If anyone is interested I can document my progress.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
That sounds like a great project. What are you planning for the trout when they reach a large size? Release them in your ponds at the hatchery?
Please do upload some pics here, egg hatching is something we don't see too often here.

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
Not sure which size you mean by "large size." if you mean by 4 to 5 inches, which they will be by spring, they will either be liberated directly into the flow through pond to be kept on a pellet diet and grown out for almost 3 more years, or placed temporarily in a floating cage (which I have some experience with) so they won't scatter too much in the pond to make feeding more difficult.

If you mean really large size, once the brooks, browns, and tigers reach 4 to 6 pounds, which is in their third year, they are removed by hook and line by lots of eager volunteers (some hire me to mount one), and what isn't harvested by hook and line is removed via a seine or by draining the pond.

Here are some pictures of some of the big trout. I had six brooks over 6 lbs. and 40 plus 4 to 5 pounder when it was time to remove the trout.

They are overdosed on Clove Oil or MS222 (finquel) and frozen whole and then shrink wrapped. Each fish gets assigned a number with it's length and weight and sold on line on a taxidermy website.

A typical hook a line angler with one of the trout.

My twin with a brown trout:

A perch out of the female perch and male bluegill pond that is 5 ounces bigger than the state record:

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Cecil B.

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2011
Ligonier, Indiana
BTW sind sie Deutscher? My first language was German although I've forgotten a lot of it. My mother is German and my wife, although not German, is a HIgh School German Teacher. My parents met in the military, and you name it I've lived there as a military dependent!

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Leave the top 10 biggest fish of each species in the pond, harvest most of the rest that army baitfish size by the way here's my qualifications for trophy size fish by species: channel catfish at 36inches, bluegill at 2 pounds,crappie at at least 17 inches, yellow perch at 15, European perch at least 18, largemouth at 24, green sunfish at 1 1/4 pound, brown trout

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
At 25 inches, rainbows at 40 inches, also u should try to cut some of the fat out of your fishes diet based on pictures

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
I love the pic of the brown trout! What a monster

BTW sind sie Deutscher? My first language was German although I've forgotten a lot of it. My mother is German and my wife, although not German, is a HIgh School German Teacher. My parents met in the military, and you name it I've lived there as a military dependent!
Yes, I am. That's pretty cool! Where did you live, Ramstein?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store