Extremely aggressive baby dat

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
So far, w/ my whole less then a week of experience in keeping dats (just got my first recently) he bullies on my leopard ctenopoma, which is a very similar fish in general shape and face as a small dat so that may factor into it. He leaves my albino senegal completely alone, ignores him like hes not even their. I think movement has a great deal to do with their aggression. Mine is already on pellets ( i think the store had them on pellet ) and will almost only eat the sinkers if they are dropping or come off the ground b/c of current, doesnt seem to like to eat off the bottom at all. Basically unless the first one hits the ground before he realizes.

For these reasons i would imagine slow moving, calm, not flashy fish would do well with dat. I also use an almost bare tank with some fake floating plastic plant and a couple plastic patches of tall grass. Its been said many times that can cut down on aggression from ambush preds, keeping the tank w/ minimal cover. IME it does quite a lot, my indo doesnt seem to be as mean as yours or many ive read about, also my red wolf fish lives w/ 2 orino pbass under 4 inches, totally capable of becoming snacks. The only reason i think they are still alive is that they are quite quick and cant be ambushed due to tank structure in my 70. Dat is in the growout for pellet training/QT still.

All in all, i think when you try again lessen the amount of decor. That may stop him from claiming territory at all. As for other tank mates like i said, they dont seem to like flashy fish so be careful with that. The flash of silvery scales in many cases sets ambush preds off

49ersfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Well tried the move to the 80 gallon last night and did not help i had them in seperate tanks then put them in at the same time he still chases the little one. He has been leaving all the other fish alone except thr smaller dat. He cant catch the smaller one he is too fast, do u think the larger dat may get over it in time and leave the smaller one alone? (has happened with the larger dat and other fish he diddnt like) or just not gonna work with keeping both?

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
I've worked with Indo's, Polta, and campbelli. And yes very aggressive fish can be quite territorial, and very fast so if they dislike any tank mates they typically pick them apart quickly.

Mine do fine with bichirs, also did fine with other larger aggressive/predatory fish. When mixing with other dat's it's been hit and miss. Ample space and hiding spots will help. Raising them out together from small sizes seems to work to an extent , but i still see fights between them from time to time.

49ersfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2013
Bay Area, CA
I know the 3 rule in dats but he killed the 3rd right away now im down to 2, and at $36 each (the cheapest i can find them) they r getting expensive to replace!

49ersfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2013
Bay Area, CA
Well i broke down and spent the money, picked up 3 more baby dats and just like u guys said it worked perfect! 5 days with no deaths and even the larger one just wants his territory and doesnt pick on them. Thanks for all the help i can finally have a peacfull tank with now 5 dats instead of 2!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store