Extremely noob question

Sleepdawgg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2011
Rosedale, md
www.facebook.com
Ok well first off I'm new. Loving all the stuff you guys are doing on here. One thing I'm not quite getting is the sump I understand the purpose and some what what to put in it but was wondering the prosses is and what compartments to have in it for a fresh water tank? big question how does it work In conjunction with my filter or as a a oth filtration device? Also how would a attach it to my tank? What's a good zize for a rule of thumb? Sorry for a noob question but I want to do the best I can for my fish and figure out how I big and what to use in it for when I go to build my new tank

newguyonblock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2011
riverside
for my 125g fresh set up i have to overflows one on each corner that have drill outs at the bottom and a 50g sump i know its over kill but i figure i cant beat it for that plus a stand for $200 but anyways it flows into one section that fills and over flows into a padded area for filter that drips onto bio balls then flows under through pads then over onto another section that pumps the water back

Sleepdawgg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2011
Rosedale, md
www.facebook.com
Ok got you I'm following what your saying the application I wanted to use it on would be a DIY tank that would be 400 to 600 gal undecided as of yet the build won't start till after the new year. though I wanted to look at options to what I should do for filtration and also a place to give smaller fish a chance to get a bit bigger before being placed in in the lager tank as the fish I have currently are well established. I'm looking at different designs and most are applied to salt water tanks I was curious of the fresh water applications and what would needed to be included for a tank as large as 400-600 gallons.

Sleepdawgg

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2011
Rosedale, md
www.facebook.com
i would just run a large canister filter on the 75
That's what I have currently for the 75 gallon I have a marineland magnum 350. I was referring to a set up I wanna do that will be 400-600 gals I should of been more specific in my op sorry

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
For a 400-600 gallon tank, id use a 125 for the sump. You can run drains many different ways, but the basic idea is that water is gravity fed to your sump and then return pump/s move the water back to the tank. Biggest advantage of a sump is the increase in system volume and volume of water you can move efficiently. Plus it gives you a place to hide all your stuff you don't want to see. Heaters, plumbing and as you pointed out, even fish.

The 300 in my sig will give you one idea of how to do it, but like i said there are many, many ways to it and most work well. My drains are way overbuilt for the current stock list, but we built it with a lot of headroom so we can upgrade our pumps without redoing anything else. We built it to be very flexible and user friendly and SILENT which is a big deal when the tank resides in the middle of our house. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store