Extremely worried about new white sturgeon

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Probably just too warm then. There are only three things that really matter to sturgeons, food, O2 and cool water.

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Throw in a powerhead to create O2 bubbles and circulation. Get a large bag of ice and stick the bag in the tank. Hopefully these Cali temps will subside soon.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Update: water temp has dropped to 74 the past week but it still hasn't gotten better. It seems the awkward swimming happens at night but once the lights turn on, it swims kinda normal again but still does the occasional backflips. It still won't eat anything at all and is getting extremely thin. I'm pretty worried about it and have contemplated just killing it but there's a part of me that somehow thinks its gonna pull through. Could this also be disease related?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Never kept one but I would assume the temp needs to be lower than that.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Did you research this fish before you bought it? Cool water holds more oxygen and they should be in temps down in the 60 degree range. You may need to buy a chiller? They don't do good in warm water. These are guys are fast growing and can reach 6 meters(largest freshwater fish in North America) and can live 100 years. Not a fish for an aquarium environment. Good luck with your venture and the construction of the 15,000 gallon pond.

http://www.pond-life.me.uk/sturgeon/acipensertransmontanus.php

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Oops, didn't realize more then one sturgeon is called white sturgeon.Maybe you will get lucky and it will be acipenser ruthenus the smaller one that is mentioned in this post. Still looks like they prefer cool to cold water and 74 is the high range so you would probably want it lower then 74.

Here is a good read for you, I hope yours pulls through....http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...urgeon-info&highlight=Acipenser+transmontanus

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Repeating what others said, cold water is the key for most sturgeon species. I'd keep it below 70 at all costs, put in some ice bags, use a cooling fan, keep out of light, whatever you have to do. Could it have possibly been a change of pH from the source to your water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store