Fahaka in a community tank

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Hello, so this is something I have been working on for a while now (about 18 months to be honest). Everyone says, and normally quite rightly so, that puffers should NEVER be in community tanks... However I think I have done this successfully. So I post this as a bit of thesis.

Firstly, know your puffer! Some are flat out killers and you have no chance, others will accept certain types of fish and some are very docile. This is the basis for where to start and the measure of if you have any chance at all.
Secondly, get the puffer as small/young as you can. I got my fahaka at around 1 inch or maybe a bit smaller and put them into a big tank (I started with a 80 gallon).
Thirdly, raise them with other fish immediately! Obviously nothing that will eat your puffer but large non aggressive barbs, tetras etc work well. Then as they grow increase the size of the fish they are will.
Forth, get a big tank!! The bigger the better.. I upgraded to a 220g 7footer once the puffer hit 9 inches. This gives the other fish plenty of space to run and hide of required and the puffer doesn't feel cramped or threatened.

This is the basics and here are a few principles I have learned.

- lots of food! A hungry puffer is a threat to everything.. So don't miss feedings or you will see your puffer looking at the fish like a meal. If you see this feed immediately.
- your puffer shouldn't be the dominant fish in the tank.. Puffers are not territorial and don't really care about hierarchy so an apex fish is a good idea. My Oscar is boss of the tank and actually pushes the fahaka about with his nose.
- lots of hiding places.. Well that's obvious.
- this is a sticky one... Be prepared for loses and nicks. This is a painful process and if you can't handle losing the odd fish or seeing a fish get a nip (which can be disfiguring from a fahaka) don't try this. You can rescue and return to the shop or keep any survivors but you will get a few issues till your puffer settles.

Okay that all I can think of for now..I hope this helps if you want to try and please I am not here to upset anyone this is just something I have tried out. Below is a pic of my fahaka with his tank mates

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Oh yes and no small bottom dwellers.. Their movement is too much like crabs and will get murdered. My fahaka doesn't eat fish but still loves live feeder shrimp and crabs. She seems to see one as food and the other not.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
And another stay away from overly aggressive cichlids as they will try and lip lock your puffer... This doesn't end well for the other fish.

Reactions: celebrist

celebrist

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
alaska
How long have you had the group together?

Also do you supplement with anything to keep his beak worn down?

Your tank is nice looking, can you give us a full tank shot?

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
While i agree some Fahakas will accept tankmates, it can still change at the drop of the hat... Just need to watch out for potentiall aggression, coz while it looks like your Oscar is pushing the fahaka around, its more likely your fahaka just cant be bothered dealing with the O...

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
The fahaka has been with some of the catfish and the smaller dither since I first got her and I have slowly added fish as the tank has been upgraded. The final tank with all occupy ages has been up and running for 4 months now.

Ohh yes the fahaka gets cockles in shells twice a
Week, live crabs and super worms for deal with the beak issues.

This was the tank yesterday.

image.jpeg

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
Woefulrelic.. Yep I am Happy to report the GT is alive and feeding well on sinking pellets. The wound has all healed up and he is still trying to fight with the Oscar for dominance of the tank. But he has learn his lesson and leaves the fahaka alone!

Reactions: Woefulrelic
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store