Faranah ID

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Frank, you sure it's an endli? It's got some of the lap traits such as the center line with circles across the body.

Your assistance on this is fantastic by the way! Since, hundreds of polys have channeled through your hands and seen it all.

yup..... if you look at cohazards thread when he got his, got the shape of the lap but it looks like a dabola. Those bichirs are in my hands now but the pictures he took show the head shape and and body patterns extremely well. I wish I would have bought more back then.

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
yup..... if you look at cohazards thread when he got his, got the shape of the lap but it looks like a dabola. Those bichirs are in my hands now but the pictures he took show the head shape and and body patterns extremely well. I wish I would have bought more back then.
Frank, sorry I'm not seeing Endli as being definitive to my fish in question. If you said Dabola or Faranah Type with no specie attached. That would be 'Uncategorized Specie' . Do you think this is a possibility?

As you know, sp. dabola comes in washed out with faded markings when first introduced. Not sure you seen this before. But here is Cohazards' introduction vid:

Last edited:
Reactions: moe214

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Here's the pic of the headshape. Very wide and round. Color tone on her is whiter than a settled in Congi. Can I get your thoughts again on what you would describe this specie? I don't see any similarities to Cohazards Dabola, JZX Singapore, & others. Thanks again!

977836-cd2d93d86c8a7cfada6d5c45b17e5753.jpg

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
the ones I received look exactly like the one in your video..... exact same headshape, finlet shape, body shape, etc......I love these guys, like I said, wished I had ordered more. Are they rare? no. Are they different? yes. nothing is definitive..... yes they are unique in characteristics like the headshape, etc..... could be a variant due to collection point or might be a different species or might even be a hybrid...... not sure..... nothing is definitive..... for example, the difference between sp koliba & sp koloton..... the difference in these can be so subtle, some say it's the same fish while others say they are different enough where they believe it's a different species. Only way to find out is DNA testing......
when someone asks what that is i just call it Farahna sp. Dabola.

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Here's the pic of the headshape. Very wide and round. Color tone on her is whiter than a settled in Congi. Can I get your thoughts again on what you would describe this specie? I don't see any similarities to Cohazards Dabola, JZX Singapore, & others. Thanks again!

View attachment 1202005
I see many similarities. Especially in the video you posted. all good though. just my two cents. color is not a good indicator of anything..... you can have 10 bichirs from the same collection point all with different hues......

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I see many similarities. Especially in the video you posted. all good though. just my two cents. color is not a good indicator of anything..... you can have 10 bichirs from the same collection point all with different hues......
Thank you very much! It does create more clarity. Agreed with your 10 bichir same collection statement. I had always labeled it a Faranah Dabola based on some of your prior Faranah related post in the past. Faranah sp. Dabola is cooler, lol

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
Frank, since your door of knowledge is still open, lol... Can I get your opinions on this? Got it as a sp. Dabola type. Many international websites have this fish here labeled as sp. Dabola. I believed cuz of they're messy patterns often times hides their markings. There are many type of dark green messy lap variants out there. Most are labeled as Guniean Lap.

Would you say a Guniean / Faranah Lap variant? Have anything like this in your collection?

my Guniean Dabola.jpg

framcosco

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2010
los angeles, ca
Frank, since your door of knowledge is still open, lol... Can I get your opinions on this? Got it as a sp. Dabola type. Many international websites have this fish here labeled as sp. Dabola. I believed cuz of they're messy patterns often times hides their markings. There are many type of dark green messy lap variants out there. Most are labeled as Guniean Lap.

Would you say a Guniean / Faranah Lap variant? Have anything like this in your collection?

View attachment 1202014
I have 4 of those. Got them as Farahna Laps. IMO .... farahna laps all day.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store