Fatal or not?

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
I would catch the fish and with sharp scissors cut off that dangling tissue. Just a quick cut, it probably has not much nerve or blood supply anyway now. Then I would isolate for 2 weeks. I bet this fish will be fine.
It might be fine don't get me wrong but how will it eat? It won't have the suction of opening his jaw to grab the food. I mean it might live for months but it will eventually die without eating. You can manually feed it for the rest of its life....Syringe with brine shrimp you can keep it a live for a while.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
It might be fine don't get me wrong but how will it eat? It won't have the suction of opening his jaw to grab the food. I mean it might live for months but it will eventually die without eating. You can manually feed it for the rest of its life....Syringe with brine shrimp you can keep it a live for a while.
+1 ya

How this JD will grab food that's the question. Also I would probably remove all yh fish and give fahaka its own territory. Not a good idea if happens again cuz if fish suffering

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Cool, will see what I can do, but I think it can't eat. It try's but can't pick up food... Doesn't look good.

Thanks she is the best fish I ever owned. As per aggression its a total guess! I got a fahaka as I like aggressive single species tanks... Both she is so placid I figured I would put her in my 7ft 220 community tank... And she is great with them (accept the GT) the bloody Oscar is trying to bully her and her just totally ignores him lol! is adorable how she just flutters about while he is desperately trying to intimidate her
Dude, now i'm a little upset, that's the 2nd fish in less than a week that Puffer has taken out, Move him by himself before he kills again. C'mon, man, you should know better after last time. No offense, but this should have been easily avoidable.

Brent Mohar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2016
Yoiu make a good point. And its hard to say for sue. Its hard to tell from the photos how much of the mandible is damaged, but if its mostly a soft tissue injury this can scar in and be functional. Its amazing what will heal sometimes.

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
You have a point and I will consider it, but In My defence the GT did attack the fahaka. But maybe this is a lesson learned to only stock peaceful fish with something that has such a devestating retaliatory capacity.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
You have a point and I will consider it, but In My defence the GT did attack the fahaka. But maybe this is a lesson learned to only stock peaceful fish with something that has such a devestating retaliatory capacity.
Dude, does it matter who started it? The Puffer is always gonna FINISH it. You might as well just keep your fish w/ a giant SNAPPING TURTLE :(

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
I'm having a few teething problems with the fish stocking I grant you.. But it an be resolved.

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Listen to Frank take the puffer out and get him a 150 all to himself
that thing is a beast.....IMO, he's just gonna keep picking off fish until he is in a tank by himself anyway. Why not save a few fish before it happens. That Puffer can't be kept with much, and certainly not the ones he's with now. I wouldn't even put that thing in with a CAIMAN. I bet he'd even take chunks out of stingrays

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store