FATF Questions

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
Wow thank you so much the flow at night was a great tip. For the forskahlii would you recommend just one or a small school. Other tank mates I was planning were some bichirs, and possibly a larger morymid sp, as well as African tiger scats as dithers, I figure they’re fast enough to keep up. Thank you so much that was very helpful!
Ur most welcome. Stick with one fish ur better off. Almost all atf will eventually kill the others especially as they get bigger and more dangerous for tank mates. If u look me up under characin page ans type in gatf u can see the 3 or so years I documented his progress here and there. Bichir are fine and so are the scats. Nothing too silvery or flashy because that attracts their attention in the wrong way 😆

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
I'll tell u one story. I had a 20" endli in there and unfortunately died. Well when I went to remove it after it was in there overnight, 1/2 of its body was missing. The gatf ate it like a snicker bar lol. Better to reuse not waste but that was nuts. It was around the 30" mark at the time. Incredible appetite!

Reactions: SilverArowanaBoi

Adamson

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2012
Switzerland
Hi guys, I’m a big South America guy and recently I’ve started to get more and more into the African fish. I just had some questions that the posted ATF guide didn’t highlight too much. First is growth rate, the size of their final tank is not an issue if I enjoy them I’ll get whatever size they need but the FATF I saw for sale and was interested in were only 2.5 inches. I figured starting them in a 75 gallon was a good idea but If they’re growth rate is decently fast is it even worth it, or should I just go massive off the bat? Another question was about their compatibility, would 3 or 4 work long term or is it only recommended to have one? As well as other tank mates do they practically kill everything or are they decently behaved as long as they have space, solid diet and adequate flow? Any response would be helpful thank you!
Where did you find FATF for sale? I’ve been looking for one for ages.

Simonas

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2008
Wirral, UK
I have had a VATF for about 14 months now and Phil has been a great help so take his advice on board. From an ATF beginner I will say if you can keep one and care for it do as they are just the most fascinating beast of a fish. Mines gone from a skinny 3" minnow to a 13" plus lump of muscle and sinew with a massive tail one end and big teeth the other.

Mine has been the perfect tank mate so far and not touched anything that he shares the tank wiyh. I anticipate that may change as he grows but for now perfect behaviour.

They never stay still, you won't see a faster fish, mines the greediest thing ever, bit of a pain really as he eats everything before the others get to y=it as they are that quick.

Downside will be how skittish they can be. I do my water changes on a sunday morning and have started leaving the room light on for half hour before I start, once they get spooked they're hard to calm down

Just the best fish provided you have the space and time

• Love
Reactions: fishtankphil

fishtankphil

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
USA
I have had a VATF for about 14 months now and Phil has been a great help so take his advice on board. From an ATF beginner I will say if you can keep one and care for it do as they are just the most fascinating beast of a fish. Mines gone from a skinny 3" minnow to a 13" plus lump of muscle and sinew with a massive tail one end and big teeth the other.

Mine has been the perfect tank mate so far and not touched anything that he shares the tank wiyh. I anticipate that may change as he grows but for now perfect behaviour.

They never stay still, you won't see a faster fish, mines the greediest thing ever, bit of a pain really as he eats everything before the others get to y=it as they are that quick.

Downside will be how skittish they can be. I do my water changes on a sunday morning and have started leaving the room light on for half hour before I start, once they get spooked they're hard to calm down

Just the best fish provided you have the space and time
Ty my brother I appreciate the acknowledgment.

Reactions: Simonas

EDKexotics2003

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2022
Where did you find FATF for sale? I’ve been looking for one for ages.
Monster fish keeper had 2 inchers a little bit ago and monsterfishaquarium.com I believe still has some 6” available. It’s been a while since I’ve checked so not 100% sure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store