favorite gar species

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1060256; said:
i really like all of them, but can at least narrow it down to 3 favorites above the rest:

longnose gar (first species i ever caught)
alligator gar (first time i ever heard of a gar)
and this guy:

do you still have this guy solomon?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
to answer ani-mal-lvrs and jordan's questions:

the gar is a "crocodile gar" "type II" (these are given terms for gars hybridized with alligator gars, the type II was somewhat arbitrary, although it was the second type richard and i came to know of after the more wide-spread "type I" which was a shortnose x gator hybrid. the gator x longnose hybrid, therefore, could be considered "type III"), this specimen is a hybrid between an alligator gar and a Florida OR spotted gar.

and yes jordan, still got him...he just ate a ton of shrimp and some massivore pellets last night :)

i'll try to get some updated pics in the near future as he has switched to a darker coloration (which may be seasonal/maturity related, the fish is about 4 years old) --
--solomon

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1060957; said:
to answer ani-mal-lvrs and jordan's questions:

the gar is a "crocodile gar" "type II" (these are given terms for gars hybridized with alligator gars, the type II was somewhat arbitrary, although it was the second type richard and i came to know of after the more wide-spread "type I" which was a shortnose x gator hybrid. the gator x longnose hybrid, therefore, could be considered "type III"), this specimen is a hybrid between an alligator gar and a Florida OR spotted gar.

and yes jordan, still got him...he just ate a ton of shrimp and some massivore pellets last night :)

i'll try to get some updated pics in the near future as he has switched to a darker coloration (which may be seasonal/maturity related, the fish is about 4 years old) --
--solomon

that is amazing. what is the expected size of the croc you have in the photo and what is his growth rate like?

i would love to see more pics of him. :D

vinson lim

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
malaysia
WWWoooWWWW Solomon, yr GAR was really nice. =)

Before i saw this PIC, my favo gar was FLORIDA....
but after i saw this pic, my favo was ......

CROCODILE GAR TYPE 2

ESJBond007

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Southgate Michigan
how big do crocodile gars get?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
thanks for the comments guys :)

getting back to favorite species, i'm surprised no one has said Cuban yet? i gotta say i may have to add them into my top 4...definitely has been the most challenging species for me :eek:

demjor19;1061083; said:
that is amazing. what is the expected size of the croc you have in the photo and what is his growth rate like?

i would love to see more pics of him. :D
jordan, the initial growth rate was quite fast, just like for any other gar...well, except maybe the gator...i'd say the rate of growth was faster than all the other species, but still closer to them than to the rate of the gator.

i'll track down some old un-posted (or if it's just been a while) pics, but all the pics of the croc gar type II on primitivefish.com are of this same individual, you can check out how the pattern has developed and changed since it was very young--
--solomon
ps-- and richard and i have discussed expected sizes of croc gars for quite some time...we only have guesses, in this case, probably close to a big captive Cuban or adult wild Florida...again, just educated guesses :confused:

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
E_americanus;1061908; said:
thanks for the comments guys :)

getting back to favorite species, i'm surprised no one has said Cuban yet? i gotta say i may have to add them into my top 4...definitely has been the most challenging species for me :eek:

jordan, the initial growth rate was quite fast, just like for any other gar...well, except maybe the gator...i'd say the rate of growth was faster than all the other species, but still closer to them than to the rate of the gator.

i'll track down some old un-posted (or if it's just been a while) pics, but all the pics of the croc gar type II on primitivefish.com are of this same individual, you can check out how the pattern has developed and changed since it was very young--
--solomon
ps-- and richard and i have discussed expected sizes of croc gars for quite some time...we only have guesses, in this case, probably close to a big captive Cuban or adult wild Florida...again, just educated guesses :confused:

you say the cuban was your most challenging? how so? i imagined them being pretty harty like a A. Spatula or A tropicus.

all the pics on primitive fish are of the same fish? his markings have changed dramatically. i thought they were different fish.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
demjor19;1061975; said:
you say the cuban was your most challenging? how so? i imagined them being pretty harty like a A. Spatula or A tropicus.

all the pics on primitive fish are of the same fish? his markings have changed dramatically. i thought they were different fish.
Cubans are pretty much the most sensitive gar species i have kept...they react to changes in water quality faster than any other species or individuals i've had. they seem to do best at a high pH, which i figured out with some educated guessing, and plenty of trial and error. needless to say, i've lost a specimen or two along the way, and those aren't cheap losses to say the least :irked: :cry:

gars in general are more sensitive to changes in WQ than most people think, it's just that they can actually cope with poor WQ at times. but again, i digress on this thread, and it may be better left to another topic :)

and yes, the croc gar HAS changed quite a bit since his early years :) --
--solomon

Bsixxx

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
may fav is a cuban gar, never had one most likely never will:cry:
then next is my two floridas
:D
and then my shortnose that i will someday have,
and solomon that croc gar is amazing
:D

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
ps-- and richard and i have discussed expected sizes of croc gars for quite some time...we only have guesses, in this case, probably close to a big captive Cuban or adult wild Florida...again, just educated guesses
Just a note Sol.. I saw the ones (Type 1) in Chicago again and they have not budged beyond an inch and still holding at 25 to 27 inches estimate...

We will talk more on this this weekend.

Now back to the scheduled thread..

OK... I have to add Sols gar to my favorite list...That is a great fish and having personally known it It would be up there should you have to torture me to say other than all gar where my favorites :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store