Favorite Silver Arowana Tankmates?

Arcanus

Feeder Fish
Feb 14, 2018
Ok, long-time reader but new member to MFK, so I apologize for any faux pas.

I've finally picked up my own silver arowana, under two friggin' inches! I've been eventually planning for one so I've done a fair amount of research (and or course have long-term plans for housing) but the biggest unknown to me is which of my other fish would make suitable tankmates. I'd like to know if you have any great successes and/or horror stories. I've been reading that cichlids ranging from green terror to angels work, but wouldn't they be bite-sized next to a 30" predator??

And if anyone is willing to take a gander, I'd like to know which of the candidates of my current stock list below are suitable in your opinion. I know where the risks are but I really want to be careful as I want to do this thing right.

My bigger fish:
Gar (most likely a hybrid, resembles both a spotted and a juvenile alligator but has distinct differences betwixt both. I've ruled out cuban, tropical, needle, shortnose, and florida. He was sold as an "asian" gar but the shop owner didn't know anything else. I'm thinking he'll fall in the 24-36" size as his growth has already slowed by 12")
Clown Knife
Bichir (endlicheri, ornatapinnis, and senegal)
Jack Dempsey, mild mannered
Green Severum
Green Terror, current juvenile
Large parrot cichlids
Spotted Bullhead (probably maxed around 12" it appears)

And fish I'm pursuing:
Large school clown loaches
oscars (worried about growth rate)
giant gourami
marbled sleeper goby
Another fire eel and datinoid - RIP Ziltoid and Orion, :'(
Any other large oddballs - I'm hooked

I like the idea of all my larger cichlids if possible - keep it at least passingly close to the same continent. I do love those asian oddballs though.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Ok, long-time reader but new member to MFK, so I apologize for any faux pas.

I've finally picked up my own silver arowana, under two friggin' inches! I've been eventually planning for one so I've done a fair amount of research (and or course have long-term plans for housing) but the biggest unknown to me is which of my other fish would make suitable tankmates. I'd like to know if you have any great successes and/or horror stories. I've been reading that cichlids ranging from green terror to angels work, but wouldn't they be bite-sized next to a 30" predator??

And if anyone is willing to take a gander, I'd like to know which of the candidates of my current stock list below are suitable in your opinion. I know where the risks are but I really want to be careful as I want to do this thing right.

My bigger fish:
Gar (most likely a hybrid, resembles both a spotted and a juvenile alligator but has distinct differences betwixt both. I've ruled out cuban, tropical, needle, shortnose, and florida. He was sold as an "asian" gar but the shop owner didn't know anything else. I'm thinking he'll fall in the 24-36" size as his growth has already slowed by 12")
Clown Knife
Bichir (endlicheri, ornatapinnis, and senegal)
Jack Dempsey, mild mannered
Green Severum
Green Terror, current juvenile
Large parrot cichlids
Spotted Bullhead (probably maxed around 12" it appears)

And fish I'm pursuing:
Large school clown loaches
oscars (worried about growth rate)
giant gourami
marbled sleeper goby
Another fire eel and datinoid - RIP Ziltoid and Orion, :'(
Any other large oddballs - I'm hooked

I like the idea of all my larger cichlids if possible - keep it at least passingly close to the same continent. I do love those asian oddballs though.
Welcome aboard

Arowana are fragile when they are that small so suggest growing it out until it hits 6-7 inches but would not keep it in with overally aggressive species. 1ft or more Silver Aro could probably be ok with most of the fish you have mentioned. Tbh not sure about the Giant Gourami.

Arcanus

Feeder Fish
Feb 14, 2018
Thanks for the reply. It sure looks fragile too. At this size it almost looks like a ghost catfish with a swollen head! Ive got it alone in a 29 at the moment, and I figure once it gets close to 1/4 the total length of the tank length I'll move to a 55, 125, and so on until I either choose an indoor above-ground in the garage or a monster tank.

I'm re-mineralizing RO water for a daily ~20% water change, and I'm feeding wingless flies and freeze-dried bloodworms and plan to move on to guppy fry and small crickets soon, hopefully pellets and frozen fortified foods before long.
I consider with all that, there won't be much holding back any growth spurts. I wonder where I'll be with this in a year!

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the reply. It sure looks fragile too. At this size it almost looks like a ghost catfish with a swollen head! Ive got it alone in a 29 at the moment, and I figure once it gets close to 1/4 the total length of the tank length I'll move to a 55, 125, and so on until I either choose an indoor above-ground in the garage or a monster tank.

I'm re-mineralizing RO water for a daily ~20% water change, and I'm feeding wingless flies and freeze-dried bloodworms and plan to move on to guppy fry and small crickets soon, hopefully pellets and frozen fortified foods before long.
I consider with all that, there won't be much holding back any growth spurts. I wonder where I'll be with this in a year!

If you feed guppy feeders quarantine them first before feeding to Aro if you didn't know this already.

Arcanus

Feeder Fish
Feb 14, 2018
I do, I understand it's always worth mentioning. I'm setting up a 60G guppy/shrimp feeder/breeder tank so I'll maintain the whole colony with as much care as my monsters.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store