Favorite small fish to catch?

Betta132

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Anyone have a little species of fish they like to catch? By "little" I mean usually under a foot long.
Warmouths are a favorite of mine. They come lunging out of nowhere, hit like tiny little cannons, and fight like the balls of muscle they are until you get them in. I had a nine-incher break my lightweight spinner reel. Plus, they have nice colors, and they're tough enough that they're just fine the second you let them go.
I also like seeing the color variation among longears. Not as much fight in those, but they do have enough speed to take the line ten feet sideways in about a second.

fatboy8

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2012
Philadelphia
I'd learn towards native brook trout since they rarely exceede 12". Small streams, super light tackle, and awesome colors

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
My favorites are 3-4" green sunnies. They don't fight hard, live on the hook a long time, and are a favorite treat for big cats.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Same as fatboy8, I love wild Brookies. We normally catch them 3-10" but occasionally I'll luck in to a 12" and I caught my PB in July at 15"! White Bass in Lake Erie are my second favorite and they average 8-14" from our pier but I'll regularly catch 15-16"rs a few miles offshore trolling spoons.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
I love fishing for smelts, yellow perch and creek chubs.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I love fishing for... creek chubs.
Creek chubs are the best! They're the only thing that gets me through a southwest PA winter, I always know I can go to my local feeder creek and pull a couple out in a day of fishing in freezing water :).

Duckman77

Piranha
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
Aurora, IL
Anyone have a little species of fish they like to catch? By "little" I mean usually under a foot long.
Warmouths are a favorite of mine. They come lunging out of nowhere, hit like tiny little cannons, and fight like the balls of muscle they are until you get them in. I had a nine-incher break my lightweight spinner reel. Plus, they have nice colors, and they're tough enough that they're just fine the second you let them go.
I also like seeing the color variation among longears. Not as much fight in those, but they do have enough speed to take the line ten feet sideways in about a second.
White and yellow bass.

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
Im a big fan of the good ol' blue gill. There are some good sized ones in the C&O canal which are always fun when we cant find any carp

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
Love going for massive bluegill (6-10 inches) in a couple of lakes that I used to frequent and the occasion where I can get into wild shiners and turn around and use them for bait. Which astonishingly can get up to 16 inches.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store